applestar
Mod

Canestrino della Garfagnana or Charlie Chaplin?

Can anyone differentiate with confidence between Canestrino della Garfagnana vs. Charlie Chaplin? I am pretty sure this is NOT Ernie’s Plump because the pedicels are jointed and Ernie’s Plump is supposed to have jointless pedicels. Canestrino della Garfagnana is supposed to be a branch line of Canestrino di Lucca, so if you have experience growing di Lucca, they may be similar.

I had the impression that Charlie Chaplin is actually medium sized, but I’m not sure.

- approx. 6 inches across; 11.1 oz.

This first fruit I had for lunch had a watery mild front end with sweet building into umami middle and lingering acid tang. More of a savory tomato.

- It lacked the punch to eat fresh, so I thought the best parts of the flavor profile would intensify if cooked — I cut it up, sprinkled with kosher salt, added a few more cocktail sized other tomatoes (also tending to be mild) cut in quarters, and heated with EVOO and braised in kefir whey for 10 minutes, then added leftover pasta and topped with lumpy kefir “cottage cheese” (my kefir had over fermented and separated) and baked until kefir cheese had melted (about 15 minutes). The juices had come out of the cut up tomato pieces and made delicious sort of “kefir of” tomato soup filling halfway up the baking bowl that I could enjoy separately, then I ate the reheated left over penne with meat sauce and a piece of lasagna loaded with the richly flavored stewed tomatoes.

Topped with this year’s dried purple basil and marjoram, and served with a dollop of hot pepper sauce, the result was absolutely delicious, and I ate all of what I think was probably 2 or 3 portions. :>

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Did I share mystery ruffles seeds with you?

They looked a lottttttttt like those. Medium to large fruits, one or two fists, 0.5-1 pound. I’ve been out of it so long..... :lol:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I realize this doesn’t actually help your topic question but these are the ones I call Mystery Ruffles. They did not grow as labeled from the nursery.
7135FE80-6707-418B-832B-EFFAFE1C7E6C.jpeg
53068475-A88F-4748-BFE0-7AAD560F19F0.jpeg
1D774A18-40EA-4EF7-AA3F-A764F331A6C3.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Oooh I remember those. Did you like them? Mine turned out to be excellent sauce maters. There must be several of these classic Italian (?) tomato varieties floating around.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

They’re a pretty decent slicing tomato. Kinda mild on the acid, but they’ve got a nice silky and juicy texture! I grow them yearly for flavor, disease resistance, and production. Plus they’re just so dang cute!
BB653F19-FFAA-47D6-BB1D-4370094A45D0.jpeg

2BendyArms
Newly Registered

I grew Charlie Chaplin tomato last year. They were enormous, and pretty tasty. They were kind of pleated, like the photos on this post. I have not grown Canestrino della Garfagnana, but am growing a tomato called Liguria this year, which is supposed to be purse like, too.

applestar
Mod

Oh cool! I hope you’ll post with progress on this variety. I’ve heard that Liguria and Garfagnana are regionally close and the two varieties maybe same or closely related.

Glad to hear you liked Charlie Chaplin. I’ll have to try growing it again, maybe next year.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”