boobiepiebaby
Newly Registered

new gardener would like some tips and advice

I'm buy my tomato plants tomorrow. they will be grown in pots. I have a back yard that gets sun light all day {live in the south}. I've wondered, since there has been so little rain if using 'soil moist' will help to keep my plants alive.
I'm not really worried about the watering. but I really want them to grow and be healthy. if I can grow nice tomatoes this year, I would like to try a bigger "garden" next year with two more plants {don't know what they are yet!!}
any advice for a new comer to the wonderful world of gardening?

doccat5
Green Thumb

Well water from the bottom up. Use your finger to test the soil and see if it feels damp or dry. Take a flat container of some kind and add several inches of water, set your containers down in that and let them do their thing. Not sure how big these tomatoes are going to be that you are getting. But you do need to be careful about checking containers regularly as they have a tendency to dry out fairly quickly.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

boobiepiebaby,
I've wondered, since there has been so little rain if using 'soil moist' will help...I'm not really worried about the watering. but I really want them to grow and be healthy.
I'm not certain what "soil moist" is but there are water retentive products that absorb and later release water. I prefer to avoid such materials and rely on myself to manage the plants. Over-watering is one of the biggest problems for container plants.

Don't panic the moment the top of the soil looks dry, your roots live deeper. If the plants wilt then water the day before. :wink:

Norm

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”