Tropicalgirl

Dimples on tomatoes (and dark spot)

Hi!

My tomato plant finally started to fruit and everything looks healthy except that one of the tomatoes started to change color (at the flower bud end) and generate what looks like dimples. I have 3 plants indoors and so far only one tomato (out of 8 tomatoes) looks like this. I attached some photos to see if anyone can help me identify what it is.

Thanks!!!
Attachments
20190120_140013.jpg
20190120_140038.jpg
20190120_140046.jpg

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I'd assume that what you see is the beginning of blossom end rot - often abbreviated to BER. I'm not expert about it but there's lots of info on the web (and probably this forum.) I suspect the first thing you should do is remove the affected fruit.

The cause is usually said to be either calcium deficiency or inconsistent watering.

No doubt someone who has experience dealing with this condition will respond to your query.

Tropicalgirl

Thank you. I will try to search for BER. It's strange that only one tomato is affected but the rest are ok.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Buy pellet lime dissolve it in water then water tomato plants for quick results it takes about 2 days to cure BER. If tomatoes have BER other plants will too, peppers, squash, melons, cucumbers, they all need calcium.

Other things work for BER also I have used $2 bag of cement from Lowe's. Mix 1 quart of cement with 5 gallons of water stir well wait 24 hours before you use it, cement might burn the plants if you use it too soon.

Gypsum works too, drywall mud, drywall board, but it always make my tomatoes taste gritty like very fine particles of sand in the tomatoes.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Considering your location, one thing I'll mention for BER is the temperature of the soil. If the soil is too warm, the plant can't utilize the calcium in the soil and you'll get BER even if there's plenty of calcium available. You mentioned that the plants are indoors. If it's a climate controlled space or the space is comfortable enough temperature-wise, then lack of calcium is the likely culprit. If it is only one tomato affected, the conditions while it was developing that caused it to have BER may have been rectified and the rest of the tomatoes may be fine.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”