Johnthebob
Newly Registered

Black edge on tomato leaves

I put some tomatoes in a few weeks back and two of them of the same variety have black around almost all the leaves. Can anyone tell me what is causing this. I have spent hours tryin to find the answer online and cannot see it anywhere.
Attachments
8A85B501-1216-4237-9080-2F3140F9E8BC.jpeg

applestar
Mod

I am not familiar with this symptom. According to this website, it could be some kind of bacterial infection - they list three possibilities with descriptions. In my cooler temperature area, bacterial tomato disease is rare. Do you live in a warmer area?

:arrow: Black Edges on Tomato Leaves

This website offers more diagnostic details for various leaf symptoms

Tomato leaf symptoms Diagnostic Key
:arrow: https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... afKey.html

Do any of these match the symptoms your plants are exhibiting?

imafan26
Mod

A few questions
What variety of tomato are you growing?
Have you planted tomatoes in the same place before and if you did, how well did they grow?
Are you growing in the ground or in a pot?
If you are growing in a pot, what was in it before?

Johnthebob
Newly Registered

In south Australia just in spring now in a new planting spot with new soil only they are either black Krim or oxheart. There are 4 different varieties in the same spot and out of the 9 plants only 2 have this issue and they are the same type of tomato plant I think oxheart

UTtomatoman
Newly Registered

I've seen the black leaf edge curling several times before on new plants that weren't fully hardened off. I believe it is like a sunburn caused by exposure to UV light several years ago I had a flat of seedlings where several plants 3 or 4 out of 32 curled just like your picture.

After additional days of increasing exposure ( adding about a half hour each day of increased sunlight) the plants were no longer sensitive to the outdoor UV light. I've since found that the first few days I put the plants in the shade first for a few days, increase the exposure in the shade under a maple tree before placing them in direct sunlight. I live at approximately 5000 foot elevation and the UV rays are less filtered at higher elevations.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”