mosely23
Newly Registered

Help. My Tomatoes Got Sick!

They went from strong and healthy to this. Any ideas of what it is and what I can do? Thanks for any help.
Attachments
MVIMG_20180722_111726.jpg
IMG_20180722_111724.jpg
MVIMG_20180722_111728.jpg

applestar
Mod

How many plants are in this container? Is it a selfwatering planter? (bottom reservoir means shallower soil depth)

What variety of varieties of tomatoes?

mosely23
Newly Registered

Two plants. It is a self watering container (grow box). I think they are both sweet 100s.

applestar
Mod

Holds 4 gallons of water, 42 liter soil capacity, 1-1/2 cubic feet
The instructions say 2 tomato plants, but at 11 gallons soil capacity, that would be pretty tight. By this time, I would think the water reservoir might need to be refilled twice a day.... are you checking and keeping up with the soil moisture levels? Also likely to need fertilizer boost using tomato type fertilizer.

...especially when planted in smallish container, it’s best to prune suckers/side shoots and limit to 2-4 vines per plant.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

I have all of my tomatoes planted in SIPs this season - 30 in all - and they grow very well, but the same problems can occur as with in ground planting. The ones I have them in are 2 cu ft or larger, except for two in a homemade SIP of a similar size to yours. Like apple noted, this is a bit small, which is why I put two smaller varieties in it. As for when the container dries out - something that can only happen when one of my drip emitters clogs. I check the plants every day, and the slightest hint of wilting, I check the soil. This has only happened once all season. How do you water your container? it's really hard to keep up with it, without some drip irrigation, and putting a timer on it.

Looking at a closeup of the photos I see that a lot of non-yellowed leaves already have brown edges, and this indicates some sort of blight, though there are so many kinds of tomato diseases, it's hard to pin point, even when right there. When I get something like that on any plants, I try some copper spray; otherwise, I spray KHCO3 as a prophylactic. If you have any other tomato varieties that seem to be doing well, while this one isn't, I would pull them, and plant something else - they may simply not have resistance to whatever it is.

One thing that helps with tomatoes in SIPs is to add a tsp of calcium nitrate to the reservoir once a week. This helps the green in the leaves, plus helps fight BER, with the calcium. I also sometimes add some of my hydroponics micronutrient boosters. Still, occasionally I get something there is no apparent answer to, like when I had two plants die abruptly - like what happens when a friend's plants get chewed through underground by voles.

imafan26
Mod

It is so tight in the container and it does look like there is probably multiple problems
1. fungal disease- spots on leaves.
2. Too many plant int the container.
Tip drying = maybe not enough water. Drought stress can cause yellowing and leaf drop as well
3. If there are 2 plants in the container and it only had the initial fertilizer for sip, some of the yellowing may be because there was not enough fertility to support 2 plants.
4. water reservoir will be filled with roots and if the reservoir is small, it may be drying up, if the reservoirs dries out the roots, they brown or die, it will show up as drought stress and nutritional deficiencies on the plant.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”