BiggieSmalls
Newly Registered

One tomato plant going better than the rest. Why?

I have ten tomato plants in my garden. The soil type is swamp remenant or if you will Voivodina (Serbia). Two of them died due to animals running in and out and the rest is doing fine, I guess. One plant was ripped in half (idk really) but started growing new stems, one was dug in the ground (kids from gypsy neighborhood always ruin everything I have) and it started growing out and has one almost ready to eat fruit. And one of the oldest I planted seems to go TREMENDOUSLY good despite being in the same ground and watered as much as the rest. Now, it developed about a 14 (HYUGE!) stems and each has two green young tomatos. Why could this be happening? Also, I should mention, I don't use any pesticides, or natural humus (cow faeces etc.) Just water them each day. Help please

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

You just never know with these things! I had 3 chocolate habs last season, and one got 2/3 of it ripped off by the wind, yet grew larger than the smallest, one, and the largest one produced more than the other two put together! Even if they are all the same variety, they will have slightly different genes, and some may have evolved to be better in heat or cold, sun or shade, more disease resistant, or produce larger and more fruits, etc., and this is why we choose the best that is growing, and save the seeds from them (assuming they are not hybrids), and keep looking for better qualities to the plants in future seasons.

imafan26
Mod

There might be some small differences. Maybe the one survived better because it was planted in a slightly better spot and was shielded from the wind by a structure or other plants. Planting at the right time matters, the other tomatoes, even if they are the same variety might have missed the perfect window. At least that is the theory with planting by the moon phases. I don't know if it is superstition, but it does seem that I have no luck planting anything during the barren phase of the moon.
Considering all the wildlings running through your yard, you may need to put up a garden fence to keep them out.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have learned to buy a few extra plants, my plants do weird things every year. I tilled the soil all the plants are planted in the exact same soil and same soil conditions. I have 20 plants that I bought 4 different kinds. No matter what the weather does 1 or 2 of the 4 different kinds of tomatoes will do good or better than others. 1 of the Big Beef plants never grew taller than 1 ft all the others are 6 ft tall. 2 of the Super star plants is only 3 ft tall all the others are 6 ft tall. 1 of the Beef Steak plants is 4 ft tall the others are 6 ft tall. It has something to do with plants having BAD DNA or something, not the soil. If you plant a few too many tomatoes you can pull the weird plants up and still have plenty of tomato plants. I also have 4 tomato plants that I planted from seeds in the garden plus 2 volunteer tomato plants that I transplanted to empty spot.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”