SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Striations on Rutgers

What is this, I know its not a pathogen but all my Rutgers on this plant look like this, the plant is doing well however. Although the fruit size is smallish

This tomato is from another plant

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Do you think its possible it could be a Red Zebra or similar type tomato?
The seeds were purchased.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Or a tigerella.

applestar
Mod

Yes there are a number of striped tomato varieties. Take a look at Wild Boar Farms — Brad Gates specializes in creating striped varieties, though he isn’t the only one.

This year, I’m growing a striped variety called Dwarf Chocolate Lightning. Two of my own Maglia Rosa cross elongated cherry segregates — Wild Rosa and Molten Sky — should have striped skin inherited from Maglia Rosa parent.

I guess your Rutgers was accidentally crossed or mispackaged. I say “striped” but the pattern on those Not Rutgers are more like “mottled” I guess — when They are trying to create Striped varieties they select for continuous stripes and cull the broken stripes, but the mottled pattern are favored for the interesting patterning as well. BTW my understanding is most of the new striped varieties were originally created by crossing with Green Zebra.

Let us know how they taste. :D

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I tasted one last night and let me tell you it was the best tomato I have ever eaten in my life...EVER!!!

But seriously the tomato was OK, sweet with a little acid/tart flavor, nothing to write home about but just a decent tomato, although I was impressed at how thin the skin was.

Anyhow here's a few pics of the tomato and plant.

UTtomatoman
Newly Registered

Looks similar to a variety I grew in 2019 called Copia

[/img]
Attachments
20191002_162214.jpg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I did not know there are strip tomatoes. I had 1 strip plant in a tray of 4 plants that was strange looking last summer. I almost pulled the plant up thinking it is disease but it turned out to be a good tomato.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:20 pm
I did not know there are strip tomatoes. I had 1 strip plant in a tray of 4 plants that was strange looking last summer. I almost pulled the plant up thinking it is disease but it turned out to be a good tomato.
There are lots of cool striped tomatoes Gary, check Baker Creek website. I grew one a couple of years ago called Mr. Stripey.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”