dscintra
Newly Registered

New leaves getting yellow and curling down

Good morning folks.
I am growing a tomato indoor and everything was fine, but since the flowers sprout started to show up, all the new leaves are curling down and it's edges are getting yellow.
Is that normal? The plant is in need of some specifics nutrients?

Other thing I want to know about is that my plants stem have some kind of "nodes" (as shown on pictures below). Is that ok or I have to worry about this?
Thanks for your reply.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

the "nodes" are fine. They are beginnings of roots. Tomatoes have the unusual property of being able to root all along the stem, if the stem is buried. So those nodes are where roots would grow from if the stem were buried.

I don't know about the curling. But your plant looks thin and spindly, like it is not getting enough light.

applestar
Mod

Agree with rainbowgardener.
In addition, the plant enters a new physiological phase when begins to bloom - they need less nitrogen and more water. Feed with blooming and fruiting fertilizer with less nitrogen (1st number) but don’t go overboard. And if you have been watering on schedule, water more frequently — learn to check moisture level if the soil.

Provide more light — more light the better tasting tomatoes. Start with cleaning the windows again, white wall is helpful, put reflective sheeting under the pots even aluminum foil, and stand a screen - big cardboard box with a folded corner maybe lined with foil or pearlescent Mylar inside of chip bags to reflect light from window back to plant...

or hang/set up additional supplemental light (see seed starting forum stickies for ideas)

Help the blossoms set fruit by flicking the floral truss or using back of electric toothbrush. And if set fruit, need to support since especially indoor tomato stems are weak.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

How big is the container? And what is the soil medium? From the photo the pot looks like it is fairly shallow. And the medium looks like wood chips. Tomatoes need to have a fairly deep container and soilless mix works best for container plants. I agree with the previous answers about light and fertilizer. Spindly plants indicated they are stretching towards the light. Tomatoes need 6-8 hours of direct sunlight every day. Be sure there are drain holes in the bottom of the pot. Then fertilize every week or ten days.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”