pointer80

Is this early blight or leaf spot?

I noticed this on my tomato plant and was wondering what it is? I was wondering blight or septoria leaf spot? I just put this tomato in the ground from it's starter container a couple days ago.
Attachments
IMG_4185.JPG
IMG_4184.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG

applestar
Mod

Nope. Looks like fleabeetle damage to me.

pointer80

applestar wrote:Nope. Looks like fleabeetle damage to me.
what is the best way to treat? neem oil?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I spray my tomatoes and eggplants with Surround, as well as some KHCO3, as prophylactics, and I never get flea beetle damage any more. EPs especially, were prone to flea beetles in my area. I just make sure that I spray the undersides of the leaves, as this is where they congregate. I keep a sprayer dedicated to the surround - it doesn't break down, and when new growth shows up, or after heavy rains, I spray again.
I rarely got holes like that in my tomatoes, before I started using Surround, but that looks like what happens to my tomatillos. Yet, even the surround does not prevent this, and I have yet to find any bugs on them. And it has never seemed to slow the plants down, in growth or production.

pointer80

pepperhead212 wrote:I spray my tomatoes and eggplants with Surround, as well as some KHCO3, as prophylactics, and I never get flea beetle damage any more. EPs especially, were prone to flea beetles in my area. I just make sure that I spray the undersides of the leaves, as this is where they congregate. I keep a sprayer dedicated to the surround - it doesn't break down, and when new growth shows up, or after heavy rains, I spray again.
I rarely got holes like that in my tomatoes, before I started using Surround, but that looks like what happens to my tomatillos. Yet, even the surround does not prevent this, and I have yet to find any bugs on them. And it has never seemed to slow the plants down, in growth or production.
is this a organic spray and where to buy? also Is this a powder you mix or a liquid? Thanks

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

pointer80 wrote: is this a organic spray and where to buy? also Is this a powder you mix or a liquid? Thanks
It's an organic powder, of kaolin clay, which is an insect "deterrent", as many of them don't like the feel of it - they land on it, and leave quickly. Since it is made from the clay, it doesn't degrade, so I leave it in the sprayer in between sprays, with no problem. And it stays on the plants, even in light rains, but I do reapply entirely after a heavy rain. I also use a spreader/sticker, which probably helps it stay on.

I got it from Peaceful Valley. It has gone up $5 since I got it, several years ago, but the shipping has gone up $6, or maybe more! Still, it is MUCH cheaper than those 5 lb bags I got originally from Gurneys or Gardensalive, even with the 50% off! They do have a deal now, which is what I used back then - a %20 off. It may have been a Memorial Day thing, however - I just deleted the email. Here's the surround link. They don't list a lot of things it controls on their list, but it does work on flea beetles, believe me!
https://www.groworganic.com/surround-25-lb.html

Here's one thing that might still work. Usually, these are for first timers, if you subscribe to their email, but you can always unsubscribe, whenever:
https://couponfollow.com/site/groworgan ... ref=P23889

pointer80

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!, Flea beetles. I saw them today when I went out. Thanks all

pointer80

HotDeals4u wrote:Do pesticides affect the fruit? Thank u!
I don't beleave so but I use all organic pest control.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

HotDeals4u wrote:Do pesticides affect the fruit? Thank u!
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do pesticides damage the fruit? Not usually, depending on what pesticide. But pesticides are usually sprayed and for it to be effective, they have to be pretty thoroughly sprayed, getting the underside as well as the tops of leaves. That means a lot of it is going to be on the fruit. Do you want to have poisons all over your nice home grown tomatoes?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”