Wisteria
Newly Registered

Tomato leaves curled and fruits grow v slowly

Hi everyone,

Will really appreciate some advice.

I planted Amoroso cherry tomato plants from seeds since May. I am puzzled why it has grown so tall, now more than 2 metres in height. It finally flowered, but the first set of flowers did not fully developed. The second set flowered nicely and has set fruits. However, after 3 weeks, the cherry size is only 2 mm in diameter as shown in photos. I hv also noticed that the leaves are now all curled up. What is wrong?

I planted some strawberry plants together in the same pot before I planted the tomato plants but they started growing v slowly and leaves were yellow streaked , stunted and small and many have died after I watered with diluted water kefir water.

I have watered it since then for past 3 months with worm compost tea as well as Seasol health tonic, once very 2-3 weeks.

Please help. I am at my wits end as to whether I should just destroy the plant.

Thank you.

Best regards.
Attachments
20171028_153741.jpg
20171028_153612.jpg
20171028_153841.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It always helps to tell us where you are located. Most places in the northern hemisphere it is too late to grow tomatoes anyway, unless you are going to try to do it indoors. Is this plant indoors? In a pot?

Getting tall and spindly and stretched out, with long stem spaces between the leaves/ branches (like yours) is a sign of not getting enough light. If you are growing tomatoes indoors, you have to provide a lot of extra lighting. Remember they are full sun plants!! A plant that is starved for light will not produce very well.

The curled leaves look like maybe some kind of viral disease, unless you or someone else sprayed some kind of poison near it.

In any case I would chuck it. If a plant has been sitting doing nothing for two months, it is probably permanently stunted. Start over with clean soil after you have figured out how you will provide what it needs.

applestar
Mod

Well... I think rainbowgardener is correct in that the stems are very elongated with way too much gap between leaves (internodes) — this is usually a sign of inadequate light. This could be the reason for stunted buds and lack of fruitset, the if there are plenty of floral trusses, then there should be enough sun.

IF the plant is indoors, then the blossoms might not be adequately stimulated to set fruits.

To me it also looks likely that the plant is in a very small container with inadequate potting mix to support the plant with moisture and nutrients.

If you are growing the tomato indoors, it’s very important to choose varieties that are appropriate for pot culture and provide adequate/plenty of supplemental light.

Here is an example of stunted plants that were not uppotted in timely manner and are getting dried out and starved, not to mention being in a patched together lighting that is making them stretch out:

...I disagree with rainbowgardener about culling it though. Stunted plants like these can still be saved, but they need to be planted deep in sufficiently sized container of potting mix. As soon as they get the additional food and water, the new growth. stems will fatten up at least twice as much and the skinny lower stems will not be able to support them

Here are some more examples. Note that these are all under fluorescent 4-tube shop lights. You can see that the top two photos of micro-sized, compact varieties look content, while the bottom two indeterminate and taller dwarf varieties are sprawling everywhere and stressed. All of these were also dried out — they should have been watered two days ago but just were deeply watered this morning:

FYI in case you are interested :arrow: Subject: Winter Indoor Tomatoes and Garden 2017-18

Wisteria
Newly Registered

Thank you very much, folks. They are grown in brightly lighted balcony. Soil depth is about 35 cm. I am located at the Equator.

applestar
Mod

How much direct sunlight does it get? It would probably be happier if it could get some rising morning sun. Possibly setting afternoon sun if I’s not too hot.

Since the top of the plant is pushing at the ceiling, I still believe the container is probably too small. Full-sized cherry tomato varieties typically grow very tall — easily 2 m or more and need 40-60 liters of potting mix volume, more in hot areas. You would need to water twice a day to keep up especially once the plant begins to fruit and support green tomatoes.

What you can do about the height by the way — if you can tie some taught support/trellis across (wire or a clothes line would work), you can gently arch the stems/vines over and tie them on sideways. This will actually encourage the plant to bloom and fruit more since they won’t be so intent on growing upwards. You can do this at any height — It maybe hard to see but I have the plants secured to tape-wrapped wire supports in the bottom-right photo above, so I can bend and arch them under the lights.

Here is a photo of my cherry tomatoes from this summer — the poles tied across the top of the spiral stakes are at approximately 160cm height. After they reached the top, I tied the vines along the poles because otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to reach them to take care of them or to harvest the fruits.

In this picture, I have a cherry tomato plant that I tied to the arching support as it grew:

imafan26
Mod

Living near the equator it is best to grow tomatoes in the fall instead of summer. Outside they should be given morning sun and afternoon shade or a shade house. Heat resistant and cherry tomatoes will do better

The plant does look like it did not get quite enough light. I am surprised it even flowered and fruited under those conditions.

Curling can also be caused by mites. Certain mites require magnification to see them. I don't see any color breaks or mozaic pattern that looks like a virus, so I agree with Applestar that it probably is not that.

Wisteria
Newly Registered

Thank you, imafan26 and applestar! Will think about how to find a way to have something to train it to grow horizontally. Have also applied some neem manure to kill any soil mites or insects tt may be giving my plants trouble. Hope it helps n not kill the plants. Thanks heaps!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”