applestar
Mod

Health benefits of tomatoes and tomato skin/seeds

Interesting! Tomato "juice" probably should be made with whole blender-liquified tomatoes including skin and seeds.

Inhibiting Platelet Activation with Tomato Seeds | NutritionFacts.org
https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/07/28/I ... ato-seeds/
Platelets of patients with diabetes are characterized by intensified activation; so, 20 diabetics were asked to drink a daily cup of tomato juice for three weeks or a tomato-flavored placebo beverage, and there was a significant drop in platelet activation.

A study done by the Rowett Research Institute, highlighted in my video, Inhibiting Platelet Activation with Tomato Seeds, found this works in healthy people as well. Within three hours of consumption, two tomatoes lowered platelet activation, and six tomatoes worked even better. Also, the effects were more wide-ranging than those of aspirin, in that the tomatoes targeted multiple pathways of platelet activation.

About one in four people are aspirin resistant, meaning aspirin doesn’t work to calm down their platelets, whereas only 3% of study subjects were found to be tomato resistant.

This finding indicates an advantage of the tomato extract’s broad antiplatelet activity profile over single-target drugs such as aspirin. Also, when researchers stuck tubes into people while they were eating tomatoes, they found no changes in blood clotting times, implying that supplementation with tomatoes should not result in a prolonged bleeding times; so, one might get the best of both worlds: less platelet activation without the bleeding risk. But, if tomatoes don’t thin our blood, do they work?

Researchers out of North Carolina State University report that, “consumption of tomato products has been found to be protectively correlated with a lower incidence of acute coronary events, less development of early atherosclerosis, and lower mortality from heart disease.”

applestar
Mod

Hehe I was thinking this is a win-win -- we save the seeds of the winners and we can EAT the seeds of duds and losers so at least we would get some health benefits out of them after all the trouble we went to grow them. :twisted:

applestar
Mod

Due to some health issues, I want to make sure both my parents as well as my DH get sufficient daily intake of lycopene. But most websites and medical sites say only RED tomatoes contain lycopene.

Can anyone validate what this site is saying?

Lycopene and Yellow Tomatoes - Antoniette Costa - Organice Your Life
https://organiceyourlife.com/lycopene-an ... -tomatoes/
But a common misconception is that lycopene is associated with the red pigment of tomatoes. However, yellow tomatoes also contain lycopene and recent studies such as one published in the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition suggest that the benefits of the antioxidant may be greater when consumed via yellow tomatoes. The reason why can be explained by the stereochemistry of the molecule-something I have studied in my organic and biochemistry courses at Columbia University.

Red tomatoes contain trans-lycopene and yellow tomatoes contain tetra-cis-lycopene. The antioxidant is equally potent in both forms but the human body is more readily able to absorb lycopene in the cis-form. This study supports that tangerine tomatoes are a better source of lycopene because your body is able to get more usable lycopene from them.
I found a Japanese website that says you need to eat 1.8 raw whole ORGANIC tomatoes or tomatoes washed with good quality veg wash (presumably 4 oz or so salad-size) per day or take lycopene in supplement form -- it was a comparative review of lycopene supplements.

(Auto-translated)
https://www.ldl-cholesterol-o-sageru.com ... /1157.html

In order to obtain the effect of tomato's "lowering good-quality (HDL) cholesterol", it is necessary to consume 15 mg of lycopene contained in 1.8 raw tomato continuously for 8 weeks or more.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Several years ago I read about the health benefits of tomatoes but with so much FAKE NEWS these days no one knows for sure that to believe. I love tomatoes, been eating tomatoes all my life, I think I am healthier that most people my age. I never grow anything but red tomatoes so I can't say anything about yellow tomatoes. I was having some high blood sugar problems a few months ago it just suddenly cleared up and stopped being a problem, that was about the same time the garden was making lots of ripe tomatoes and we were eating lots of whole tomatoes every day. When we Can tomatoes we Can whole tomatoes, seeds and skins too. Grocery store tomato paste is made from pureed tomato skins. There is just as much flavor in a tomato skin as there is in the whole tomato. I put whole tomatoes in the kitchen blender on high for about 60 to 90 seconds seeds and skins are turned to liquid with the tomato the flavor is much than removing skins. I notice that I feel better and have more energy when I eat tomatoes.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”