native

black tomatoes

Has anyone ever grown black cherry and southern night black tomatoesand what was your experience with them. They are in containers . I have tried brandywine and they would not flower [ the only ones that would not flower].

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yep, I've grown them and I've grown black plum, Russian black and other blacks as well, I'm surprised about your brandywine.

Blacks are great, especially with prawns in a wok. Lovely.

They are slightly smokey in flavour and of course you know that the black colour is from the higher concentrations of Lycopene in the skin. (the red pigment) Very heart healthy.

native

Thanks again and now I'm excited to get my first one. with the smokey flavor I bet they are fantastic roasted. Been roasting my grape tomatoes and they have been out of this world.
Can't wait to also make some sundried tomatoes with the black cherry ones.
The health properties is one of the reasons why I decided to grow them becides the flavor. I've experimented with purple kale,purple musturd greens, p. lettices. their beauty is a plus.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Excellant, right after my own heart. I always grow varieties of vegetables that are not that common. Everyone always asks me whey I grow all these wierd vegetables and I answer: why not? You can't get them at the market plus, they are so healthy.

native

They had some of those tomatoes at the store but way to expensive so they no longer carry them plus I get bored easy with the same old same old.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

And there are so many lovely vegetables and fruits out there like Purple Orach (like spinach), purple broccoli, 500 varities of heirloom tomatoe, all the heirloom beans out there, different varieties of snow pea, the list goes on and on and on.

And when you have a salad or stirfry with all these lovely vegetables in them, it adds a sense of conversation to the table. And a sense of wonder to the eye....

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”