SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Black Vernissage

I'm curious what other folks think of the Black Vernissage?

applestar
Mod

It's an eye-catcher for sure. I have grown-and am growing this year Vernissage Yellow, which I think is misnomer because the epi is clear -- the green stripes do turn yellow and epi is yellow where the stripes are when ripe.

The ones I'm growing might be even COOLER, because I saved these seeds from a couple of fruits that had CLEAR/translucent yellow flesh, not opaque. :D

Tasty -- I remember the normal opaque-fleshed ones had more flavor though -- but I DON'T CARE. :lol:

Do those green stripes turn yellow if you let them ripen more?

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:It's an eye-catcher for sure. I have grown-and am growing this year Vernissage Yellow, which I think is misnomer because the epi is clear -- the green stripes do turn yellow and epi is yellow where the stripes are when ripe.

The ones I'm growing might be even COOLER, because I saved these seeds from a couple of fruits that had CLEAR/translucent yellow flesh, not opaque. :D

Tasty -- I remember the normal opaque-fleshed ones had more flavor though -- but I DON'T CARE. :lol:

Do those green stripes turn yellow if you let them ripen more?

Yes they do. Note the difference in pic #2 and #3.
The 3rd pic is more ripe, however the riper they are, the nastier they are.
It was suggested to eat them less ripe and I have found this to be true.
It's a mealy, pithy textured tomato with no flavor, I'm tempted to terminate the plant, unless I can find some other use for the tomatoes, other than compost.

applestar
Mod

Wow that's too bad. If you are looking for a similar looking tomato, Sailor's Luck might be better then. Similar size Striped -- I think actually purple. It's a tremendously productive variety that started early by crowding out the other seedlings with big PL foliage. Vintage Wine x Black Ethiopian ... hm I wonder if it's stabilized and available? The one I grew was a F5.

Have you tried halving and roasting? That improves a lot of bland tomatoes. In your case, try smoking and letting dehydrate a bit... maybe stuffed with cheese that are good smoked like cheddar or provolone? You probably would know better than I do.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Fwiw, it sure is a pretty one! SQWIB: I love your posts - you do so much, you describe it so well (succinctly and clearly), and your photos are great!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

It is a shame.
I have grown hybrids most of my life and never grown a tomato I did not like.

The last few years I have been starting from seed and trying different varieties every year, mostly heirlooms. I continue to grow my favorites alongside the newbies.

Until this year I have never grown a tomato I did not like. Well I wasnt a big fan of the fantastico tomato but to be fair, I was comparing it to a sweet 100.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

KitchenGardener wrote:Fwiw, it sure is a pretty one! SQWIB: I love your posts - you do so much, you describe it so well (succinctly and clearly), and your photos are great!
Thank you :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”