SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Black Vernissage

I'm curious what other folks think of the Black Vernissage?

applestar
Mod

Re: Black Vernissage

It's an eye-catcher for sure. I have grown-and am growing this year Vernissage Yellow, which I think is misnomer because the epi is clear -- the green stripes do turn yellow and epi is yellow where the stripes are when ripe.

The ones I'm growing might be even COOLER, because I saved these seeds from a couple of fruits that had CLEAR/translucent yellow flesh, not opaque. :D

Tasty -- I remember the normal opaque-fleshed ones had more flavor though -- but I DON'T CARE. :lol:

Do those green stripes turn yellow if you let them ripen more?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:It's an eye-catcher for sure. I have grown-and am growing this year Vernissage Yellow, which I think is misnomer because the epi is clear -- the green stripes do turn yellow and epi is yellow where the stripes are when ripe.

The ones I'm growing might be even COOLER, because I saved these seeds from a couple of fruits that had CLEAR/translucent yellow flesh, not opaque. :D

Tasty -- I remember the normal opaque-fleshed ones had more flavor though -- but I DON'T CARE. :lol:

Do those green stripes turn yellow if you let them ripen more?

Yes they do. Note the difference in pic #2 and #3.
The 3rd pic is more ripe, however the riper they are, the nastier they are.
It was suggested to eat them less ripe and I have found this to be true.
It's a mealy, pithy textured tomato with no flavor, I'm tempted to terminate the plant, unless I can find some other use for the tomatoes, other than compost.

applestar
Mod

Wow that's too bad. If you are looking for a similar looking tomato, Sailor's Luck might be better then. Similar size Striped -- I think actually purple. It's a tremendously productive variety that started early by crowding out the other seedlings with big PL foliage. Vintage Wine x Black Ethiopian ... hm I wonder if it's stabilized and available? The one I grew was a F5.

Have you tried halving and roasting? That improves a lot of bland tomatoes. In your case, try smoking and letting dehydrate a bit... maybe stuffed with cheese that are good smoked like cheddar or provolone? You probably would know better than I do.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Fwiw, it sure is a pretty one! SQWIB: I love your posts - you do so much, you describe it so well (succinctly and clearly), and your photos are great!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

It is a shame.
I have grown hybrids most of my life and never grown a tomato I did not like.

The last few years I have been starting from seed and trying different varieties every year, mostly heirlooms. I continue to grow my favorites alongside the newbies.

Until this year I have never grown a tomato I did not like. Well I wasnt a big fan of the fantastico tomato but to be fair, I was comparing it to a sweet 100.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

KitchenGardener wrote:Fwiw, it sure is a pretty one! SQWIB: I love your posts - you do so much, you describe it so well (succinctly and clearly), and your photos are great!
Thank you :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”