Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Rotten Tomato

Here's a Golden Jubilee that got dark and just rotted on the vine. I've never had this happen before. Looked inside and couldn't see any grubs or anything. Almost thinking too much water, but it doesn't seem likely since I only water twice per week, albeit deeply. Temps for last 3 weeks have been around 100+. Anyway, only fruit that has done this. Rotting seems to have begun at the stem end, not the blossom end. Still green as you can see. Interesting.
rts.jpg

applestar
Mod

Hmm... do you have pepper maggots in your area? The damage reminds me of PEPPERS that had been infested, but I didn't/don't know if they also damage tomatoes. If they do, I might be in trouble. :?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Well, I don't know, I've never heard of them. I'm trying to think if any peppers I've ever had did this. Can't remember. In the cross section it almost looks like something came in from the side doesn't it?

applestar
Mod

Pepper maggots get in under the calyx where their eggs are laid, and go out the side when mature to drop to the ground and pupate.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have never had pepper maggots in tomatoes, despite having them in my area. But I'm sure there are similar things that get in tomatoes.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”