Shanghaisky
Cool Member

Blossoms turning white?

My two little Walmart Romas seemed to be doing well. They are in pots on the porch until I'm ready to transplant them into the garden (not sure really what I'm waiting for... the nights have still been a bit chilly and I'm worried they'll kick the bucket..). They have both produced a lot of flowers (one including a megabloom), but now the flowers are turning white. I am a novice tomato grower, so I have no clue if this is normal or not. The leaves are not white, so I don't think they're sunburned. The nights have been hovering around 50F, and the days have been around 70F-72F. Do I need to just stick them out in the ground and give them a little mater food? Do I need to be bringing them in at night? Am I overthinking this? (probably yes).... thanks all. :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would go ahead and put them in the ground! If daytime temperatures are warm and night time temps go below 55, it can cause it to drop blossoms (which doesn't harm the plant any and it will put out new blossoms). Definitely don't bring them in at night, you just ruin all your hardening off.

I don't know about the flowers turning white. All I can figure is that it is either a sun exposure when they aren't used to it or a reaction to the cool nights. I doubt it is anything to worry about if the plant is growing and the leaves look healthy.

Yes, probably over-thinking! :)

Shanghaisky
Cool Member

Hmm.. okay! It hasn't dropped any blossoms that I can see.. they are just turning white. Do they start to shrivel up (the petals) as the fruit starts to form? I almost think I can see a tiny itty bitty green nub in a few of them.. but maybe I'm crazy.

Also, when is the best time/conditions to transplant them? We've got rain all week, though temps are nice-ish.. high 50's to low 70's daytime, 46-53 night time... I don't want to lose my plants but I think I need to "let go" a little... hahaha!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Cloudy and mild is best transplanting. Light rain is fine. You don't want them to get pounded until they are toughened up a little more or the loosened soil washed away from their roots. Hot sun is worst. If you are having hot sunny days, transplant in the late afternoon when the area is shaded and things are cooling off. 46 is a bit chilly for them. You can cover them at night until it warms up.

Shanghaisky
Cool Member

Many blossoms (including my megabloom... sad) are shriveling and one has fallen now. I'm going to transplant them tonight. Nights are still low 50's at best, but living in a pot seems to be doing them no favors. New leaves are growing and new blossoms coming out, but I think they will be happier in the ground. Maybe put some coffee grounds and epsom salt around them for a little boost? Thoughts?

xtgold
Cool Member

like they say;walk in your garden barefoot.
If it is comfortable on your feet is is good for plants.
I would keep them in containers outdoors.
Once plants get stunted by the cold ground it takes them a long time to recover.
Last year I had an early girl that didn't have red tomatoes until august.
I had put it in the ground at the end of april.

applestar
Mod

If your plants seem big enough -- I want to say 12 inches or more with sturdy stem -- I would let the blossoms develop. To encourage this and ensure fruitset, you may want to use an electric toothbrush which simulates the bee buzz/vibration that the blossoms have evolved to respond to.

If it turns out that the ground doesn't warm up sufficiently in your area, you may want to consider higher raised bed, more compost... or using IR mulch (but you need an irrigation system underneath).

Shanghaisky
Cool Member

Well, I put them in the ground (before I saw these posts), and hopefully they'll live. The pots were not meant to be permanent, so they were outgrowing them. They are a good 12" tall with a thick stem for sure. Will mulching help warm the soil at all? It's a plot in full sun all day, but next to a creek that I think may have a cooling effect on the soil...? If they bite the dust, I'll see if I can find new starts elsewhere, or else wait for the next season.

xtgold
Cool Member

not supposed to mulch until the ground warms up.
Mulching actually keeps the ground cool.

Shanghaisky
Cool Member

xtgold wrote:not supposed to mulch until the ground warms up.
Mulching actually keeps the ground cool.
Gotcha. Thanks!

xtgold
Cool Member

I tilled the soil yesterday but just did a temp planting.
I take the plants out of containers in clumps and just put them on the surface until I can plant them properly.
Basically they were plants hardened off in trays with no drainage.They made room for more plants I have to harden off Supposed to rain all next week so they will get watered naturally every day.
Survival of the fittest.The plants that do the best will get planted properly when the time comes.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”