Shanghaisky
Cool Member

Two flowers in one?

I have two Bonnie Romas I picked up from Walmart, since our season seemed to start so late here. Both are in pots waiting to go into the ground and doing well. Both have several flowers. I noticed one has two flowers growing out of one head.. anyone know what this is about? Will it create a sort of twin tomato? I'll try to edit later and add a photo. Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Same question from another member recently -- I want to add that sometimes this happens because the commercial growers spray them with bloom boosters (sometimes hormones) to make them more attractive in the store ....

Subject: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden
applestar wrote:It's a megabloom. If all of the fused blossoms are pollinated evenly, you will get a megafruit (you may want to assist). Some varieties are prone to this, and especially strains of varieties selected for competition sized fruits.

Also, when the fused blossoms are obviously a twin, with the long paste types like Roma, you can end up with fused twin fruit that are interesting-looking. Actually most fused fruits are interesting and 3 or fewer make decent fruits without the severe uneven pollination and pithy core issues.

Definitely please add photos and follow up with their development and progress :-()

applestar
Mod

If you want to see some fused fruits from mega-blooms, check out these links and follow the thread:

Fused Wes, Casey's Pure Yellow, Grandma Viney's(?)
Subject: Spiral Tomato Garden

Subject: Kamatis Tagalog

Subject: Fun With Mystery Tomatoes

Shanghaisky
Cool Member

Ooh! Well... are these sprayed bloom boosters okay to eat....? They had no flowers yet when I picked them up and were choking for lack of space and nitrogen.. yellowing leaves. They are looking better now. Here are some photos!
Attachments
Another angle
Another angle
Megabloom!
Megabloom!

jeff84

when I was a kid I worked on a melon farm, we would see this quite often with musk melons AKA cantaloupe. they were considered undesirable/unsellable. so we ate them in the field. nothing wrong with them at all.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”