ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Horn Worms

HELP!!!

I just pulled 2 HUGE Horn worms off of my beautiful heirloom tomato plants. :evil:

The damage they have done since yesterday if horrifying. They stripped leaves and flowers from 2 plants. :twisted:

What organic stuff can I use to keep these monsters off of my precious tomatoes?? :?:

Thanks all.

imafan26
Mod

I'm lucky I don't have many of those around. I did see a monarch and a fiery skipper in the yard, but I guess except for the butterfly bush, I don't have much to interest them. I don't have any cabbages now. The lizards in the yard tends to keep them in check.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Oh gosh I hate hornworms... I usually just go on the prowl. Everyday. Me and my trusty soap cup. I look for the telltell poop trail they leave. And any tiny holes in a leaf. See a hole, you'll likely find a tiny hornworm nearby, usually on the same leaf.

I had a plant in my garden that had some drift from herbicide of the neighbors. I read somewhere that the more hornworms there are, the more the predatory wasps are attracted to them. I started moving all the hornworms to the deformed plants, and BOOM! Covered in wasp cocoons within 3 days, then after that I started finding them mostly parasitized all over the garden. Could just be chance...IDK.

We went out in the garden with a black light one night. Applestar suggested that, and we found a few more. There are pictures here somewhere! I should find that link!

I mainly just hand pick them for control. It's very effective for me, as long as I got hunting daily.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=58439

Hornworms are pretty much mentioned throughout. :? I was so frustrated with them...huff.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Lindsay

I will be on the hunt. I was just wondering if there was an organic treatment to get rid of or deter these creatures. :twisted:

Slugs can be an issue. I take care of that with shallow pans of beer - 1 in each box. Lots of slugs die happy. :-()

Thanks

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:evil:

I haaaaaaaaate slugs! More so than hornworms.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

ladybugs and lace wings eat the eggs and baby hornworms. As Lindsay mentioned, the braconid wasps (tiny, stingless) parasitize them. In my previous location, where I had gardened for years and had tons of the flowers that attract the wasps, I hardly ever saw one that didn't have the white cocoons all over it.

So in the long run having lots of flowers to attract the wasps is a quite effective solution. That is flowers that have their nectar in tiny florets: sweet alyssum, yarrow, lemon balm, mints, anything in the carrot family if allowed to bloom [carrots, parsley, fennel, coriander, etc] marigolds, tansy, thyme. But that doesn't help you right now.

As Lindsay said you can just hand pick them and drop them into soapy water.

Bt should be effective against them, but it is not a poison and is not fast acting. It would take some days before you would know it was working.

It also helps to invite birds into your garden, with feeders, baths, houses. Mocking birds. robins, cat -birds, and brown thrashers are among the birds that will think your hornworms are a big treat. Presumably my chickens too, but we haven't had a chance to try that.

When your tomato plants are done, be sure to cultivate the top few inches of soil all around them. I did find one of these last year:

hornworm pupa, about four inches long.

Who knows how many more I didn't find! :shock:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You can sort of tell when they've been parasitized also. They usually have puke stains all over them and the surrounding plant. They don't move or eat a whole lot after that either. So if you see a pukey one, I'd watch it for a few days.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Or if you see one with the white cocoons all over, leave it. It is dead or dying, but the adult mini-wasps will hatch out of those cocoons to be a new generation of garden patrol for you.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks

The 2 I found did not have the white cocoons. The were actively eating my tomato plants. Other than landscaping to attract braconid wasp I guess I will just have to patrol my boxes and look for the young worms before they do too much damage.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Do you have herbs planted anywhere? Our cilantro bolts really early here. They like that, dill, and basil. They seem to like bolted radish blooms too. I just interplant all my herbs all around the garden and then let them go. Cilantro seems to be a fast favorite! It tastes gross during the summer anyway! :()

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Two more huge horn worms this A.M. I found lots of castings but none of the young ones.

applestar
Mod

Maybe you are developing the correct vision-mode for spotting them. Have you noticed your eyes do that, whether weed or pest? I think of it like a filter or swivel lens that need to be swung down over my eye, or vision-mode that need to be activated. :()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I see them thangs a mile away. :evil:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thank you all for your advice.

I have never had Horn Worms. The monsters really freaked me out. Saturday and Sunday I pulled 5 Horn Worms the size of my index finger off of my Heirloom tomatoes.

I have patrolled my boxes 3 times daily looking at the underside of every leaf on 20 tomato plants. I have not found any eggs or young worms.

Today I did dust my plants with Bt.

I grow my tomatoes vertically and pinch the suckers. The damaged plants have suckers. I will let them grow and hope that I get some production. 8 plants have been stripped by the Horn Worms. :twisted:

I was so happy and proud of my table height boxes. The Horn Worms really threw me off. :eek:

Lindsay I also hate slugs but I control them with shallow pans of cheap beer.

Thanks all.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”