Ninjakatz

New to growing tomatoes

Hi,

Ive recently got into organic farming and decided to grow tomatoes, bell peppers, and eggplants.

I'm currently using an organic garden soil mix and a liquid fertilizer. Current temp here is about 87℉.

Just wanted to ask if my tomatoes are doing okay for 3-4 weeks old ones? I don't have grow lights but always make sure they get sufficient water and indirect sunlight for 6-8 hours a day.
I have also transplanted these and buried the stems about an inch deep.

Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.
IMG_20170329_144449.jpg
IMG_20170329_144443.jpg
IMG_20170328_140508.jpg

Ninjakatz

Just some additional photos:
IMG_20170329_163607.jpg
IMG_20170329_163614.jpg
IMG_20170329_163619.jpg
IMG_20170329_163636.jpg

applestar
Mod

Yes, they look good. I figure on about 1 week from sowing seeds to sprouting, 1 week for seed leaves to unfold, 1 week for each set of true leaves. Sometimes the sprouting takes longer.

In the first post, I would bury the 2nd photo seedling up to just below the seed leaves. Then when it grows some more, bury the seedleaves, too -- up to just below the first set of true leaves.

At 87°F I imagine you are growing them outside, and indirect sun is probably best since it would be way hot in the sun. But after about a week after uppotting, I would expose them to limited amounts of direct sun. Dappled shade under lathe or tree branches, etc. is best, with a period of full sun in the morning. Don't do this with ones that are in need of uppotting because with roots filled, the cups will dry out too quickly. Be sure to water them individually because some will dry out faster -- group according to how they are potted and by development to make it easier to guess what they need.

...I do wonder, though -- are the temps going to moderate to lower levels from here on out? Tomatoes won't bloom or set fruits well in 90's and above temps. If you are heading into summer, then I'm afraid this might not be the right time in your location to be starting tomatoes.... where are you located?

......what was the purpose of the dirt photo?

Ninjakatz

Thank you for the amazing feedback. Really appreciate it.
The tomatoes seeds were actually sowed together and I'm also wondering as to why some seems a bit small.
Regarding sunlight, I do expose them during the morning but then put them in the shade in the afternoon.
As for the weather, that is one thing I missed since we are indeed heading to summer here in the Philippines although my location also offers plenty of shade. Not sure if I can still make this work out.
Regarding the dirt, its actually an organic soil mix being sold here which has compost, coco peats and leaf cutting. Soil mix from the garden store are a bit expensive here but ill still buy them once I uppot so my plant can be more happy. :)

Anyway, thank you so much for the tips. The other plants in the pics are bell peppers and eggplants

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”