Scott_R
Newly Registered

Pruning and staking tomatoes

Hello, all.
I've been reading a lot about pruning and staking tomatoes, and I think I've learned a lot, but in the end I may just be more undecided about what route to pursue.

I have a bunch of seedlings under lights in my basement: Amish Paste, Lemondrop, Kanner Hoell, Brandywine, and Isis Candy Cherry (3 of each variety); all are indeterminates.

Looking at all the different support methods, I think I'm down to choosing between stakes/stringing and trellis--I.e., probably not cages, but that's not a complete conviction.

From what I've gleaned, if you use a stake or a string you basically should prune to a single stem, while you can use multiple stems or dispense with pruning if you use a trellis of some sort (horizontal strings, steel mesh, etc.). So, support method dictates pruning and vice versa.

My thought is to try this: for 2 of each variety (10 plants total) prune to a single stem and use along with staking or stringing--the space I can use is limited and this'll allow me to grow them closer together. Then with the remaining five plants (one of each variety) plant them either with a string trellis--either the Florida weave method or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCCx93hEoa8, though weaving your own mesh seems like a lot of work)--or using a couple of sheets of concrete reinforcing mesh. These five I can either not prune at all or do so to four or more stems.

As far as staking, any reason not to use these?
https://tinyurl.com/mvcpx9c
sharpening one end and driving it down 18-24", leaving 6' exposed.

thanks.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I am a believer in the cages made from cement construction wire (heavy duty). They are strong, withstand wind with a simple stake, give the tomatoes plenty of room, and last forever! When I run out of cages I have resorted to other means but the cages are the most maintenance free.

Scott_R
Newly Registered

The only local source I saw for cement construction wire is Home Depot/Lowes, and the quantities are far more than I need: 150 feet for $115, and that's only 5' tall. That or 3.5' x 7' for $7.75 a piece, which are also tricky to transport in a small car.

Plus, I liked the accessibility of the other methods.

FWIW, the plants will be in raised beds.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”