misterpete
Newly Registered

My lovely little tomato plants are sick... help!?

I'm growing my first batch of tomato plants hydroponically, and after several weeks of energetic growth, I'm starting to see yellowing on many of the leaves, especially those on the lower branches (photo below). Nutrient deficiency? Parasite? Non-green thumbs? Any advice would be much appreciated!

If it helps, I'm located in the topics, daytime temperatures are 32-37C (90-100F) with 90% humidity, and the plants get about 8 hours of direct sun per day.

Thanks!

Pete

IMG_9177.JPG

applestar
Mod

I'm not sure if the yellowing leaf edges are related -- well it probably is -- those squiggly light colored lines you see on the leaves are caused by leafminer fly maggots. They are inside the leaves munching away. I guess consequently, the vital fluids are not reaching the leaf edges and they dry up. (I didn't know this happens since in my area, it's not the flies but moths that attack the tomatoes and symptoms are s bit different.)

First, remove all of the affected leaves and destroy them.

Where the damage is minimal, try killing the maggots by pinching the ends of the lines with your finger nails. You may be able to tell which end the maggot is in, then just do that end. You can also snip off parts of the leaves. Sticky traps hung among the foliage will catch the adult flies.

I'm not sure what happens in hydro set up -- ordinarily, the mature larvae will drop from the leaves into the soil beneath and pupate, then emerge to infest the plants again, so putting down a barrier mulch will help to interrupt their cycle.

imafan26
Mod

Leaf miners for sure. Your hydro set up, is small for a tomato. The stem has long internodes and it is dark green. It probably needs more light. Tomatoes are usually grown in a dutch bucket system. they have very large roots but you also have to make room for the air roots. A 5-15 gallon dutch bucket per plant is better. It provides more support and root space for the tomato. You will need to trellis as well. Tomatoes are heavy feeders and their requirements change at different stages of growth.
https://www.simplyhydro.com/home_grow_tomatoes.htm

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”