Averilp
Newly Registered

White growth on tomato stems

Hi,
I have a vegepod with tomatos, cucumber and a few other bits in it. This has completely taken off but some time in the last week a weird fluffy icicle shaped growth has started on the tomatos. Some of the leaves are turning brownish but otherwise the plant seems vigirously healthy.
The vegepod has a cover on it that acts like a greenhouse and its supposed to stop bugs etc. The garden is in a sunny spot on the balcony but has had plenty of water through rain and has water reservoirs that pretty much make it self watering.
Any idea what this is and what I can do to get rid of it?
Attachments
20170303_090017.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Perfectly normal ! Tomatoes are fairly unique (though there are a few others like them) in being able to grow roots all along their stems if the stem is buried. So your white growths are potential roots. Probably means it's been pretty humid at the base of your plant for it to do that. There's a word for them, which I can't remember now, root initiatives?

Anyway, because of this, anytime you transplant tomato seedlings, you should bury them deeper than they were. It will increase the root system.

Averilp
Newly Registered

Thanks. I was worried!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”