MaggieMD

Green film on top of potting soil

I started some tomato and pepper seeds in Hoffman Seed Starter and plastic cells in flats. I've been mostly "bottom watering" -- pouring water in flats and putting the cells (they have holes in the bottom) back in. I sprayed the top of the potting soil until the seeds germinated, and after they first did, with water mixed with very diluted fish emulsion and sea kelp. The seeds sprouted within a week (I have a heated mat under the flats and two grow lights right above them. Today, one week later, I noticed a rather greenish film on the surface of the potting soil. So far, it has not affected the seedlings, but I'm wondering if I should stop spraying them. I've read a lot about "damping off" and I'm wondering if this green film might be something harmful.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

MaggieMD,

I think you are watering/spraying too often, try waiting a little longer. I have some pepper seedlings under fluorescents right now and the surface of the soil is quite dry but they need watered soon. If you have the damping off fungus you will know it when your seedlings fall over at the soil line.

Norm

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi maggie, I agree with Norm, check the soil before watering. If it is still damp, your plants will not need water.

If the film in green I would suspect you have an algal growth. But overwatering does often enfuse a fungal growth as well. I wouldn't get to upset about the growth right now, just watch it and if you can get a hold of an aerated compost tea and spray this on the growth.

The beneficial microbes will eat any parasitic and pathogenic micros on your soil or on your seedlings.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”