evtubbergh
Green Thumb

How fast do your tomatoes grow?

How fast do your tomatoes grow? I think I need to move all my seedlings because they seem to be growing very slowly. I have little pink Italian heirloom tomatoes that have been the same size for 2 weeks with only the addition of 2 tiny true leaves.

But maybe I am overreacting and I should do something else and stop watching them?

pow wow

Where do you have them now? What are their light and temperature conditions and do you know what the name of your Italian tomato is? Could be a slow growing type?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So in two weeks since the seed sprouted, all it did is start on the first pair of true leaves? They grow slower at first, because it is still working on growing a root system below ground. But that does seem a little extra slow. Seems like it should at least be growing the second pair of true leaves by now. Does it get plenty of light?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Tell us your lighting conditions, soil temperature and growing medium. Seedlings need 16 hours of direct light (I use fluorescent bulbs about an inch above the leaves). Temperature should be above 65F...you do the conversion. Soilless mix for a starter with or without a small amount of fertilizer. Than as the true leaves appear you can add liquid plant food to the water every other week at about 1/4 strength from the recommended amount.

At first like rainbow says, then with proper conditions they will take off.

imafan26
Mod

In the beginning plants seem to grow slower since most of the growing is happening in the roots. Plants will also grow at different rates at different times of the year because of differences in light intensity, duration and temperature.

Make sure you pot up in time as the plant grows. If the pots are too small then the plants will stunt. If the plant is just starting you should be alright as long as the starter pots are big enough.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Another good point. My seedlings begin in 1 inch by 1 inch pots 2 inches deep. When the seedlings grow at least two true leaves (and I usually wait for at least four true leaves) they get transplanted into 2 inch by two inch by 3 inches deep pots. Some go with larger size transplant pots, I do not. The seedlings stay in those pots until they are 8 to 10 inches tall and then to plant out into soil or containers at least 5 gallons.

1 inch = 25.4 mm
1 US gallon= 3.8 liters

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Haha, I don't think they are tomatoes at all. I should post a picture so you can help me identify them. I seem to have mixed up my mom's tomatoes with something else entirely. I have not idea what I did.

imafan26
Mod

This time of year everything grows slower since the days are shorter and cooler. Corn took 15 days longer to harvest and tomatoes, eggplant and peppers are ripening fruit but not really producing many more flowers. Seedlings are growing slower too.
It is a better time for the greens since they actually like the rain and the cooler weather.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

They were stocks and the little leaves got longer and longer. When I planted them out they grew and flowered eventually. It was summer here.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I plant my tomato plants deep, any place soil touches the stem will grow more roots. It takes a week for the stem to became a large mass of roots after that my plants grow slightly more than 1 inch taller every day. Sometimes plants are 10" taller in 1 week. My plants are 8 ft tall now. They will soon become top heavy and start growing down. When the tops reach the soil they grow across the garden. Often limbs get long and hang down on the soil I put a shovel of soil in the center of the limb and it grows roots. Once the limb grows roots I cut it from the mother plant now I have a new tomato plant that I can transplant to another place in the garden or let it grow right where it is. Click photo it gets larger.

dtizme
Cool Member

Nice plants Gary. Mine are about 6-7 ft. planted them around may 24 from transplants. I grow them similar to you. good size holes, plant deep, I only fertilize when first planted. just water after that. Just curious what you are using to support them?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

dtizme wrote:Nice plants Gary. Mine are about 6-7 ft. planted them around may 24 from transplants. I grow them similar to you. good size holes, plant deep, I only fertilize when first planted. just water after that. Just curious what you are using to support them?
I have round factory wire tomato cages that are about waist high when stuck in the soil. I have a 8 ft tall cement rebar down the center of each tomato cage. Cage holds the plants until they get taller than the cage, then I tie plants to rebar with hay bail twine. I want all the tomatoes I can get in the shortest amount of time before 98 degree weather stops the plant from growing. Once the plant leaves turn brown and die I cut the tops off at 7 ft this forces the plant to become a bush instead of a tree. This will stop tomato production, if you want tomatoes on the table every day do not trim all your plants at the same time.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”