shimsham
Newly Registered

Tomatoes

Hi everybody, I am new to the forum, I have just bought a new greenhouse with the intention of growing tomatoes never done it before so I would appreciate any advise anyone can give me ie What do you feed toms with, which variaty do you choose, or any tips would be most welcome. :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well the world is your oyster here my friend! Welcome to the HG!

I like heirlooms such as black tomatoes, purple prince, zebra tomatoes, pineapple tomatoes and so on. Some hyrbids I like are beefsteak, Sweet one Millions (cherry tomatoes), pear tomatoes (yellow), Lemonboy (you can eat this one like a plum) and so on.

Work some good composted manure into your soil before planting and use liquid fish fertilzer once a week on your plants

When you plant your seedlings, add a handful of kelp meal to the hole as a slow release organic fertilzer.

Also, pinch off all the leaves that exude from the stem except the top leaves and bury the entire stem. This will turn into your root ball and provide a sturdy base for your plant.

Then hammer in a 6 foot cedar stake next to your seedlings. Don't use string to tie your plants to the stakes as it will cut the stems. Actually, used nylons work best so, ask your wife or ladyfriends for some and cut them into strips to tie your tomatoes up.

Basil is a great companion plant for tomatoes so plant some with them.

shimsham
Newly Registered

Many thanks for the reply. Could you tell me about the basil do you grow it in seperate pots or in the same pot /grow bag as the tomato plant.
Could you give me any tips on feeding tomatoes over the season. Regards

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You can plant it in the same pot as your tomatoes, just use a pot that is a little larger.

Fertilizing:

What I do is add a handful of kelp meal to the hole before adding the plants then I fertilize with liquid fish and liquid seaweed fertilizer. I alternate each week between the fish and seaweed fertilzers.

Kelp meal is a slow release fertilizer so will provide nutrients for you plants throughout the season.

One more thing, crush some eggshells and sprinkle them around the soil to provide calcium for your plants to help stave off blossom end rot. You can also buy a non organic calcium spray that you have to spray the actual tomatoes with but, using eggshells; it's all done in one shot and it's basically free.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”