rsanders
Newly Registered

No luck with Tomatos

We have tried to grow tomatos in our garden for 5 years with no success. There are 3 black walnut trees within about 50 feet. Does anyone know if this would be harmful to my plants.

Roger

I am not sure if they will affect things as far as 50 feet away, depending on the size of the tree, but in my experience the Black Walnut is famous for supressing many different plants grown nearby. [Usually things within the drip line of the trees, and a bit further beyond where the roots reach to.] If your garden site is close to several of these trees, the toxins they produce in the soil could be really limiting your gardens potential.

Do other plants grown in the garden have the same problem?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Actually, tomatoes are one of the few plants that are supposed to grow in the presence of Juglone, the allelopathic chemical that walnut trees secrete.

Though the trees could be the problem. Try planting a hedge of buffer trees like.....some dwarf mulberry trees and some Goumi bushes (Elaegnus multiflora). Mulberry can be a little messy when the fruit fall but, the fruit are edible and birds love them and Goumi alos produce really yummy fruit and are also Nitrogen fixing treest that will benefit your soil.

So, that would be an option. For now, try growing tomatoes in large pots and add lots of compostables in the form of leaves and manure to the area that you want to plant tomatoes in to dilute any Juglone that may be present.

blue2

last summer I grow tomatoes,eggplants,carrot,peppers and greens all from seed. and they produce well. and I live in detroit

atascosa_tx
Cool Member

I started digging around a bit and found this article about walnut trees and surrounding veggies..hope it helps.

Black walnut trees produce a toxic material (juglone) that can injure and kill solanaceous crops (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant) and other juglone-sensitive vegetables in the garden. Symptoms of walnut toxicity include stunted growth, yellowing and wilting of foliage, and death of susceptible plants. Juglone is present in all parts of the black walnut tree (fruits, leaves, branches and roots). The sources of juglone in the soil include both living and decaying plant material. Rain droplets leach juglone from the buds, leaves, and twigs. The decomposition of leaves and other plant debris by soil microorganisms also releases juglone. Living roots exude juglone into the surrounding soil. Generally, the greatest concentration of juglone in the soil exists within the dripline of walnut trees. Nothing can be done to save juglone-damaged tomato plants. Simply remove and destroy dead plants. Gardeners who have large walnut trees near their gardens should consider alternate sites. If alternate sites are unavailable, plant tomatoes and other susceptible plants 20 to 25 feet beyond the dripline of walnut trees to minimize walnut toxicity problems. Corn, beans, onions, beets, and carrots are tolerant of juglone and can be planted closer to walnut trees provided the area receives sufficient sunlight. Walnut trees that are 75 to 100 feet from the garden shouldn’t be a big threat to tomatoes and other juglone-sensitive vegetables. (Source: Iowa State University Horticulture and Home Pest News, July 22, 1992)

If this is a problem, do as opabinia suggested and try large containers 18 gallon +..the bigger the better.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”