DarkRider2k3

Re: Newcomer to the forum and gardening, Problem with tomato

Lindsaylew82 wrote::shock:

That's strange... is it crunchy? rocky? mineral-y?

I would think copper as well. I wonder if copper sulfate or other copper based products can break down like that? I think copper sulfate is already oxidized, but I'm no chemist...

It's not near a septic tank is it?
No septic tank is in the front of the house.

This is like a rock.. it came out of the ground like a rock.. and was easily crushed into a powder in my hand.

Either way I got them planted in the ground.. I'll post pics soon of them (I'll take some shortly). Surprised the forum was down so long!

applestar
Mod

I have no idea if this is relevant, but this came up in a search :
Copper Sulfate Hoof Baths and Copper Toxicity in Soil — Dairy — Penn State Extension
https://extension.psu.edu/animals/dairy/ ... ty-in-soil

Copper sulfate hoof baths are used on many dairies in Pennsylvania as part of their overall hoof hygiene program. On most dairies spent hoof baths are dumped into the manure pit or lagoon so the copper ultimately gets spread on production ground with the manure.

TomatoGirl

I don't get tiny fruit in my 5 gallon pots, so I must be doing something right. My plants to grow to about 6 feet, but if you sucker them, you don't get tons of sprawling foliage and wild plants. Maybe that's it? I don't know. But I have managed to get some decent fruit. I am happy with my results. But this is the only way I get to grow tomatoes, so for me its is definitely better than nothing.
I wish I had a lovely big raised bed garden where I could do crop rotation. But I am pretty limited where I am. It also doesn't get above 30-35C during the days here and the nights are generally mild and lovely. So maybe it's just good growing conditions for these tomatoes and they don't mind not having as much soil.
Attachments
summer 2014 225 - Copy.JPG
summer 2014 367 - Copy.JPG

DarkRider2k3

I didn't mind growing them in the ground. We honestly were debating on doing it that way from the start. Originally from searches and other friends is how we decided on the bags. They probably could have survived and thrived, but we just decided to plant them in the ground anyways. Since the consensus was that it was the most beneficial for them in-ground, we just did it anyways.

Here they are as of tonight, alongside a pepper plant we had that we put next to them since we had the room (sorry about the night picture.. couldn't get one earlier so it's got flash.. will post better pics tomorrow):

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Very nice!

I would expect a bit of transplant shock for the next week or so. I wouldn't feed them until you find out what your soil can do for them. Right now, they will be concentrating efforts on roots.

I expect they'll green up some once they recover from the transplant, and they look like they are in a GREAT location!

DarkRider2k3

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Very nice!

I would expect a bit of transplant shock for the next week or so. I wouldn't feed them until you find out what your soil can do for them. Right now, they will be concentrating efforts on roots.

I expect they'll green up some once they recover from the transplant, and they look like they are in a GREAT location!
They actually look a LOT greener then these pics show. I honestly think they look greener then they did in the last pics I took (before transplant). These night pics do them no justice so tomorrow after work I'll take more pics.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Oh! And a warm welcome to the I-Plant-Everything-Too-Close Club! :()

applestar
Mod

You've been BUSY! :D Looks like you put down mulch, too?

It really IS easier to let Mother Nature take up some of the workload -- I gave up on growing in containers for a long time when I was commuting 1 hour each way to work because it was too hard to keep up with. More leeway and buffer in watering and fertilizing since if container growing medium is depleted, then the plants have no way to get more.

Good luck! You'll be eating those 'mater sandwiches soon! :-()

DarkRider2k3

applestar wrote:You've been BUSY! :D Looks like you put down mulch, too?

It really IS easier to let Mother Nature take up some of the workload -- I gave up on growing in containers for a long time when I was commuting 1 hour each way to work because it was too hard to keep up with. More leeway and buffer in watering and fertilizing since if container growing medium is depleted, then the plants have no way to get more.

Good luck! You'll be eating those 'mater sandwiches soon! :-()
It wasn't that hard for me lol. We have been busy though! And yup put down mulch on the top to protect them/keep weeds out.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

They will sit there for a while before taking off. They need time to adjust and grow roots.

DarkRider2k3

So here there are as of yesterday (July 2). Took these pictures that morning before heading off to work.

2 of the plants have flowers, with one of them having about 4. The other only has 1.

Still in transplant shock. No improvement, but also not getting much worse. Just a waiting game for now it seems:

Tomato 1:

Tomato 2:

Tomato 3:

Tomato 4:

Tomato 5:

Tomato 6:

Pepper:

applestar
Mod

IME after about a week they are ready to get back to growing their tops and in about 10 days they will take off. Just give them sufficient water (not too much, not too little)

DarkRider2k3

applestar wrote:IME after about a week they are ready to get back to growing their tops and in about 10 days they will take off. Just give them sufficient water (not too much, not too little)
sufficient as in making sure the soil is moist, but not soaked? I've been sticking my fingers a few inches down in the soil to see how "wet" it is? It seems like the in ground soil doesn't dry up near as fast as above ground planting (which I knew going into would happen).

Also how often should I be feeding them in ground? Jobe's says to feed them every 8 weeks but that seems like a lot of time between feedings?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Before you feed them, I would see what your soil can do for them. You may be surprised what your dirt has to offer. I would wait on ferts right now. Reevaluate in 10 days, when plant usually start running. Then we can help you reevaluate! :()

DarkRider2k3

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Before you feed them, I would see what your soil can do for them. You may be surprised what your dirt has to offer. I would wait on ferts right now. Reevaluate in 10 days, when plant usually start running. Then we can help you reevaluate! :()
Haha yeah I didn't mean right now. I know to wait for now. Especially since they are adjusting to their new home :D .

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”