Strandman
Newly Registered

Lines and damage on top of my tomato

Hello, would anyone please share thoughts on why the top of my Yellow Beefsteak tomato looks the way it does. I'm pretty new to growing tomatoes and this is the first time I've tried to grow Beefsteak. Thank you very much.
Attachments
yellow beefsteak.jpg

Shapshftr
Newly Registered

You have two problems. Radial cracking due to overwatering, and the rest is some kind of insect (possibly stink bugs) feeding on it.

Damage
Nymphs and adults of both stink bugs and leaffooted bugs suck juices from green fruit leaving a puncture which later may become surrounded by a discolored zone due to invasion of secondary pathogens. "Stink bug feeding punctures are often surrounded with a lightened, sometimes depressed, blotch beneath the fruit surface caused by the removal of cell contents and the enzymes injected by the bug. Leaffooted plant bug punctures may cause fruit to become distorted as they enlarge. True bugs are occasional pests throughout Florida."

Best to spray the plants well with neem oil or other insecticide known to kill them. Follow instructions on the label. Get an inexpensive pump up tank sprayer to use to get all over the underneath and top sides of the foliage.

Strandman
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for the reply. I have noticed a bunch of Leaffooted bugs out there but didn't realize that they were causing the damage. I thought maybe I could control them by just picking them off and killing them but every time I go out there I see more. I will have to spray with something.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”