Brown Thumbs

Leaves curl, but only on this one plant

Why would they curl and only on one plant? No yellow on leaves, but this one is smaller than the rest. The runt of the liter maybe? I planted it on same day as others, water same as others, etc. Any suggestions? It also isn't blooming yet and others are.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Is this the same variety as the others?

Black, brown, Russian, German, and Polish varieties, (basically type that prefers a cooler climate...) does this in my garden. It's called Physiological leaf roll, and MOST (but not all) of the time, it's simply an environmental issue.

Brown Thumbs

Yes, it's one of six celebrity tomato plants. Conditions here have been warm (upper 80s to low 90s) and dry. I water them at the base twice a week. All of our other plants look fine and have blooms on them.

Also, it's the lower leaves that curl if that means anything.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

What about soil conditions? Are they planted in uniform soil, or is this one in a spot that drains better?

Is it more exposed to winds? Could the water be running off this particular plant?

Could this plant have been fertilized a little more, or differently than the rest?

Any root damage possible?

Physiologic leaf roll usually affects mostly the lower leaves. It's a way for the plants to reduce transpiration. So if the roots can't take up as much water as is being transpired out by the leaves, then the plant reacts by curling it's leaves.

Some thing can cause this but most of the time it's environmental. Too much high nitrogen fertilizer can cause too much top growth without an equal amount of root growth. =leaf roll

Temperate spring weather can cause a lot of top growth, and then when it gets hot hot hot, the roots aren't sufficient enough to keep up with the sudden increase in transpiration. = leaf roll.

Phosphorus deficiency or ph issues (preventing phos uptake) can prevent roots from growing at an equal rate of the plant. = leaf roll.

Inadequate or inconsistent watering. =leaf roll.

Brown Thumbs

They're all on the same row. The soil type and drainage are the same for each. Sounds like a lot of things can cause it and thanks for all the information. Just glad it's not a disease that'll cause me to pull it up before another gets it.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

My rows are very different from front to back.

The front of my rows get a little extra water from the leech field. The back has some deep root competition from 30' high Crepe myrtles that are about 15' away from the ends of the rows. The soil there is drier and definitely more nutrient depleted. I have to make adjustments for nutrition in my garden based on how the plants are growing.

Oh can vary from front to back and that plays a big role in phosphorus availability. Even if your soil test high for phosphorus, it may not bio available.

Could be insect related, but that would be one huge infestation!

Brown Thumbs

Well, it is a small garden (20x40 ft) with trees near. Oaks on one end but pines on the other. The pines are close enough that small roots were present when I tilled the spot up. That's the end where leaves are curling on this plant.

It came a heavy rain yesterday evening. Bottom leaves are curling even more it seems, but the top leaves look fine. I guess that rules out not getting enough water because the ground is very muddy this morning throughout the garden.

Will plants still produce when they have this issue?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

They should be just fine!

imafan26
Mod

Is this plant on the end? It would be the most exposed to everything and usually the first one affected. Take off the bottom leaves you don't need them and it will be better down the road in reducing fungal disease.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”