GrowerC86

Possible to save broken branch with tomatoes on it?

I went out to water my potted tomatoes today and noticed one of my Better Boy tomatoes had a big branch that had I think 3 small green tomatoes and a few blooms on it that was over half torn towards the main stem. It was hanging down to the grown and I don't think its going to survive but it didn't show any signs of withering yet. This could've happened while I was watering them one day and didn't noticed the bucket hit the stem. Anyway, is there anything I can do to save this branch? If I clip it and plant it will it grow roots and continue growing the tomatoes on it? Thanks

GrowerC86

Here is a pic of the branch.
Attachments
13220872_1193827443969241_3892475080010819032_n.jpg

applestar
Mod

Please read this thread -- then come back with any questions :D

Subject: I broke my tomato plant branch and I need help to fix it!

applestar
Mod

Sorry for the short answer -- I was in a middle of something. Let us know how it turns out. It's possible to save but depends on extent of damage.

Janabeth
Newly Registered

Try planting it on its side to encourage root growth

dtizme
Cool Member

I had 1 last year with a few tomatoes on it that was split pretty good and it ended up being fine. As long as it didn't completely break off you should be fine. Just leave it and hope for the best

Grovmel
Newly Registered

GrowerC86 wrote:I went out to water my potted tomatoes today and noticed one of my Better Boy tomatoes had a big branch that had I think 3 small green tomatoes and a few blooms on it that was over half torn towards the main stem. It was hanging down to the grown and I don't think its going to survive but it didn't show any signs of withering yet. This could've happened while I was watering them one day and didn't noticed the bucket hit the stem. Anyway, is there anything I can do to save this branch? If I clip it and plant it will it grow roots and continue growing the tomatoes on it? Thanks
Maby. Last year I had one huge plant with two broken braches, both with tomatoes. I just gave them some lift support, binding together with sticks. But one of them died, because another branch (much stronger) came out of the broken area and took over. Guess this was a industrial plant type though, so don't know really, but if its not snapped off or if its just a small rift, I guess it can do well.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”