TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Re: Looking for the best tomato for sauces

Well, I'm happy to say I went and got my new tomato plants today! We finally got the rent money we were owed that was keeping me from getting anything done in my garden. I made sure that every plant I got was already in nice, full sunshine and that they'd been that way for awhile.

So here's what I'll be planting this year!

-1 Sweet 100 cherry tomato (the only one to survive my dummy transplant mishap)
-1 Chocolate Sprinkle cherry tomato (sounded like a fun one to try)
-6 German Johnson heirloom tomato plants (this is the parent plant to Mortgage Lifter)
-1 Black Prince Heirloom.

I'm letting the plants get used to the sun in my backyard for the day and tonight when everything is cooled off and the sun is going down I'll put it all in the garden. The Black Prince is so absolutely beautiful. I feel like I got super lucky to find one so established as to already be getting ready to make blossoms! It's not blooming just yet but it won't be long! So, here's hoping I get a great yield!

Lindsaylew82
Mod

I liked black Prince! And so did everyone I gave them to! It grew beautifully the first year, and then got fusarium wilt the second year.... :(

I think you'll really like German Johnson! I'm partial to pink flavors!

Chocolate sprinkle DOES sound fun!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Lindsaylew82 wrote:I liked black Prince! And so did everyone I gave them to! It grew beautifully the first year, and then got fusarium wilt the second year.... :(

I think you'll really like German Johnson! I'm partial to pink flavors!

Chocolate sprinkle DOES sound fun!
I'm kind of excited about the chocolate sprinkle one and the black prince. I can't wait to start harvesting and canning and all that other fun stuff!

TexasGardenGirl
Cool Member

Super exciting! Put the tomatoes in my garden last night at sunset. Gave them a thorough watering. When I put the black prince in, it had a few buds waiting to open. Well, I just went out to check on the plants to see how they fared through their first night in their new home and the black prince has two open blossoms!!!!! Ah! I'm super excited about this! I know the plant was already rather mature when I got it so someone else did the work but....the buds opened in MY garden. It makes me super happy!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”