El K
Newly Registered

Tomato leaves change color and wither

Having a panic, what is it and what can I do to save my tomato seedlings?

More images from today, it seems to go worse overnight, so I am afraid it is not a sunburn...?

Last edited by El K on Wed May 04, 2016 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It looks like just a bit of sunburn. Were these seedlings started indoors? They need to get used to sun and wind a bit gradually. The burned leaves will not recover, but new leaves that appear should be hardened off already and will be fine.

El K
Newly Registered

I would be so happy if it turned out to be a sunburn!
Yes, I started them indoors, they are still indoors, and I guess you're right, it's time for them to get used to outside a bit.

Can you double check the leaves in top right corner in zoom, for me as a beginner it looks suspicious, but there shouldn't be any diseases this early, right...?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Can't really tell what is happening on the upper right ones.

It is time to get them out. They are looking spindly, like they aren't getting enough light. And peat pots are really not good for them to stay in.

When you transplant them, take them OUT of the peat pot (you can just peel it off). Despite what they tell you, the pot will not biodgrade in time to do anyone any good. Then plant the tomato deeper than it was in the original pot.

El K
Newly Registered

Thank you for an advice, got them out this morning, however leaves are getting more alarming, I added some more photos.

imafan26
Mod

I see some sunken spots on the leaf it looks angular and is stopped at the leaf vein and could be bacteria, and the brown tips.

Did you put any compost or manure in the potting mix?
I think it has too gotten too much water.
Not enough air
A fan would help to toughen it and help dry the media.
If your fertilizer is too strong or your roots are in trouble you can end up with brown tips.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Un natural growing environment. You need to duplicate nature. Are you using a fan?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”