pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes started under Wall o' Waters, on top of Earthboxes.

Wasn't sure if this would work out, but it did! I already have blossoms on 4 of 6 plants (not stress blossoms, like you see in rootbound plants that they sell in the stores), and in just 14 days after transplanting to the EB they are popping through the tops of the WOWs.

Here is a Sunrise after planting on 4-14 (seeds started on 3-17):

Sunsugar 9 days later, 4-23, with the first blossom:

4-28 Sunrise 2 weeks after planting in WOW on top of EB. These, and the two sunsugars have blossoms.

Update:
(I posted this below, but figured I'd add it here, as I should have had this info in the original post)

I forgot to mention that I put a remote sensor thermometer in one of them, to track the temps, and it only got down to 48º in there one night when it got down to 39º outside, and in all of these mid to high 40s nights I've had, it stayed in the mid to high 50s. And when it was in the mid 60s for highs, it got up to the high 70s to low 80s. And the highest it got was 89º, one day when it got to 86º outside, so it doesn't get TOO hot, since the heat goes out the top, and the water absorbs a lot of it.
Last edited by pepperhead212 on Sun May 01, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

^^^ LIKE! ^^^ Image

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Good idea, glad to see it's working for you. What have your day/night temps been?

xtgold
Cool Member

I have one around a 2 hole cement block with 1 hole containing an early girl since april 20th and the other hole has a Crosman Early Giant I put in april 29th.
Daytime temp 60 night-time temps in the 40's

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have never heard of 'Wall of Waters' or 'Earth Boxes' before. It looks like a makeshift greenhouse perhaps? Those tomatoes are certainly responding nicely.

xtgold
Cool Member

Wall 'o water=thick plastic film with small cells you fill with water,which heat up during the day and keep the plants cozy at night and cool days.Filled partially,they form a teepee around the plant.Add water to the top later and the wall opens up as the plant grows towards the top.Mine are pink colored.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I need to try Wall of Waters sometime. Sound like something I'd like.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

j3707 wrote:Good idea, glad to see it's working for you. What have your day/night temps been?
I forgot to mention that I put a remote sensor thermometer in one of them, to track the temps, and it only got down to 48º in there one night when it got down to 39º outside, and in all of these mid to high 40s nights I've had, it stayed in the mid to high 50s. And when it was in the mid 60s for highs, it got up to the high 70s to low 80s. And the highest it got was 89º, one day when it got to 86º outside, so it doesn't get TOO hot, since the heat goes out the top, and the water absorbs a lot of it.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

And here they are with the WOWs removed. The sunsugar is the least bushy of the bunch, and the sunrise definitely the most. And the green tiger has blossoms now.

Sunsugar:

Sunrise Bumblebee:

Green Tiger:

xtgold
Cool Member

went to use another one today and mice had chewed holes in some of the cell bottoms.
I was still able to use it, but this will be it's last season.
joblot had burpee plants for $2.99 ea and I stuck a 4th of july hybrid in the cement block with the wall 'o water around it.
The april 20th plant has blossoms.

xtgold
Cool Member

the early girl april 20th plant never set fruit.
The may 13th 4th of july hybrid has green tomatoes on it.

xtgold
Cool Member

nighttime temps have been in the 50's so I still have the walls around 4 plants.
They are double the size of the open garden plants and even the cement block plants.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I got my first ripe sunsugar on 6-13! A few more on 6-20, and a Green Tiger is showing some sign of ripening. The Sunrise will be the last to ripen, of the early ones, but it has the most on it, once it ripens.

xtgold
Cool Member

I got my 1st 4th of july hybrids (3 tomatoes) july 12th and planted the seeds from those the same day.
They are starting to pop 6 days later.
The early girl is just starting to get ripe,90 days after planting.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”