ashaninka
Newly Registered

Problems already?

Hi everyone, this is the first time I'm posting on here.
I'm growing tomatoes for the first time in my greenhouse, and it seems that some of them already have a problem.
Half my tomato plants have their younger leaves folded as if I didn't water enough, but it seems to me that I do water enough (the soil is humid), and it's only half of them...
The thing that worries me the most is this, one of my plants already has symptoms of mildew or something on the older leaves (that I removed), is it really that and what should I do? Do I pull the plant? If yes, can I put an other one in the same spot?
Thanks a lot and have a great day.

Sandra
Attachments
IMG_5415-min.JPG
IMG_5410-min.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It could be early blight, or tomato spotted wilt virus .
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vege ... er/leaves/

Remove all the infected plants and debris. If the other plants are also showing symptoms and they are planted close together you may have to remove them all and sanitize the inside of the greenhouse.

Green houses are good season extenders but it is important to keep them very clean and control temperature and humidity. Pests get in and they wreak havoc. If air circulation is poor and humidity is high you get a lot of mildew and fungal problems especially since plants are usually positioned very close together. If the green house has vents use them, if not you will need to get fans. Position fans on opposite sides of the green house. One blows in the other runs in reverse to help pull air through. The fans should be positioned at mid plant height . If you have a roof vent it helps to open the vent to let the warm air out and reduce humidity.

It would be best to wait a while to plant tomatoes again. You can plant a different plant family like herbs or cabbages.
When we have pests or disease in the greenhouse we have to remove all of the plants and sanitize it weekly for about a month and we wait for 3 months to replant. We rotated cucumbers with tomatoes, but the problem was with pests that got in the house spider mites and caterpillars.

In the green house we have to have zero tolerance for sick plants, there is no way to isolate them so they have to be pulled before they infect the rest of the crop. Tomato leaves are kept to a minimum to decrease disease and improve air circulation. Air circulation is important especially since green houses are designed to keep heat in and have very poor air movement so vents and fans are important that they be used to maximize air flow and moderate temperatures.

imafan26
Mod

I grew nicotiana ( I don't know which one) they were fragrant. One of the other gardeners would make cigars with the leaves.

ashaninka
Newly Registered

Thank you for your answer, it seems to be more serious than I thought then...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”