DR1VEN

Can you ID my pest? Damage pic here...

So this one is frustrating.... -wall-

I've already lost two sets of fruit. I thought it was hornworm but none found.(no pest for that matter anywhere)

I sprayed with BT 3 times now and while it seems to slow, I'm seeing it in the higher areas as well now.

It's eating the stems and not the leaves....

Ideas?

applestar
Mod

It's not a pest but some kind of disease. Do the tan marks look like they are concentric and expanding? (Early Blight)

There is a sticky thread at the top of the forum with several diagnostic links like this one
https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... .html#Stem

But maybe someone else can make a positive ID. This looks pretty advanced so not sure if any kind of spray would help. Is it showing up on other plants too?

I would definitely spray with diluted AACT (actively aerated compost tea) to boost the plant's immunity in any case. Alternate with willow bark tea.

imafan26
Mod

I saw some spots on the leaves that could be one of the fungal diseases. I could not zoom to get a good look at the stem. Is the damges in the stem or raised on it? Can it be scraped off. It looks like mealy bugs or scale.

Damage looks pretty advanced.

applestar
Mod

Oh yeah, definitely indicate your location in the profile. I had no idea you could get mealy bugs and scale on tomatoes.

imafan26
Mod

scale will attack anything. I don't usually get mealy bugs, but on some plants I get the mealy bugs that like to hang out near the base of the plant. Predators usually don't get to them and I end up with weak plants that wilt a lot. The basal mealy bugs are harder to get rid of because of their location.

DR1VEN

Thanks guys....

I forgot to mention Southern Ca, 9a.

The leaf in the background against the wall is an artichoke that's been fighting a disease. That ones stems are fine, but the leaves start with tiny brown spots and expand and perforate thru both sides of the leaf creating brown holes everywhere.

it starts on the tomato stem as tiny brown-dark brown "Pitting"...It is only on the outer layer of the stem "Skin?"...it expands to join over time and then left with a dead branch.

I just tried scraping of what looked like a flaking brown spot on a higher stalk and it scraped right off leaving healthy looking flesh underneath if that makes any sense.....

I assumed pest as the stem literally looks chewed....???

going to look up both of what you both recommended now to learn more...mealy bugs? scale? haven't heard of them yet. :?

DR1VEN

K...Just looked up mealy bugs...no sign of them anywhere....No pest can be found anywhere in the day...not been out there at night yet to look.

DR1VEN

think I found it...Looks like early blight.

I trimmed the older leaves just as they were showing signs while I was training the main stem so I never saw advanced blight on the leaves.

@ things stand out to me on this peticular plant....I replanted tomato in same spot from last year...(no crop rotation :( )...and el Nino has really kept up wet here this year vs others.

the ID article I found only stated treatment for seed...??? is the plant screwed? No recovery from early blight this advanced?...reading more now...

DR1VEN

applestar wrote:It's not a pest but some kind of disease. Do the tan marks look like they are concentric and expanding? (Early Blight)

There is a sticky thread at the top of the forum with several diagnostic links like this one
https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... .html#Stem

But maybe someone else can make a positive ID. This looks pretty advanced so not sure if any kind of spray would help. Is it showing up on other plants too?

I would definitely spray with diluted AACT (actively aerated compost tea) to boost the plant's immunity in any case. Alternate with willow bark tea.

WOW! great link...thank you Applestar! :-()

ID looks correct for early Blight....so, time to pull or attempt recovery?...(still reading...lol)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”