aalleva
Newly Registered

Tomato Trials and Tribulations

Hey all! I am new to this forum and am looking for some friendly gardener help. I am working on a farm in New York and have had tomatoes in a greenhouse for the past 8-10 weeks, ready to get in the ground. I have one variety that has started to look funny and am not sure what is going on. I am going to attach some photos. What I see in the photos are the distorted, curled, stiffened foliage as well as some intense chlorosis on the bottom leaves. I do have to say that we have been dealing with a pretty bad whitefly infestation in our greenhouse. I am a little nervous that it might be early blight and spreading to other plants.

Does anyone recognize any of these symptoms?
Attachments
Chlorosis and browning leaf margins
Chlorosis and browning leaf margins
IMG_9318.JPG (54.77 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Sunkist tomato with stunted/distorted foliage and chlorosis
Sunkist tomato with stunted/distorted foliage and chlorosis
IMG_9316.JPG (46.37 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Sunkist tomato with curled up foliage
Sunkist tomato with curled up foliage
IMG_9315.JPG (44.79 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Sunkist tomato with curling/stiffening foliage
Sunkist tomato with curling/stiffening foliage
IMG_9314.JPG (48.31 KiB) Viewed 984 times

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Last time I had tomatoes with curly crisp foliage like that, I had garden contamination from a neighbor's weed and feed application run off..... :evil:

I did a fair amount of research on it. It never really recovered. I grew curly like that for the entire season. Would get green fruits that I don't remember what happened. I used the plant as a hornworm nursery! They predatory insects loved it!
Need to see if I can find that and link it!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The chlorosis can be fixed with a little plant food.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I seem to remember something about cucumber mosaic virus causing something very similar looking to the poisoning on tomato plants though. And I believe that it's carried by white flies?

Ah. The more I look at you photos, the more I think it's the cucumber mosaic virus.

imafan26
Mod

I usually go with survival of the fittest. Weak seedlings usually attract more problems and they don't really get over it when they are attacked young. They are not that hard to replace at this stage in the game. I would try again with new seed if the same thing happens then try a different variety.
Tomato seed can be contaminated. I had yellow leaf curl virus on momotaro. I tried again and the same thing happened. I did not plant tomatoes for a year to make sure the disease was gone. I had other tomatoes but that was the only one that showed the disease and the other tomatoes are were not resistant to TYLCV.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”