kss2801
Newly Registered

Hydroponic tomato-Stunted, leaves underdeveloped

Hello everyone,

I recently started a small hydroponic tomato system. I am using a coco peat and perlite mix in 5 gallon bags. I am running drain to waste. In total I have 46 tomatoes and two peppers in the system.

Everything seems to be doing fine except one tomato. I'm getting pretty good growth on the other plants, it may not be evident from the pics because I am raising the level of the media as the plants grow taller. I've kinda ruled out the nutrient solution, media, environmental factors but correct me if I'm wrong. All I can think off is a disease/pest of some sort. This plant has been affected for close to a week now and no other plants show any symptoms.

I have attached some pictures. The growth is stunted, the new leaves are small and poorly formed. I would really like to identify this problem to determine the cause and any possible cure or prevention. Also I would like to know if this can spread to the other plants. I don't mind switching out the plant if necessary but I would really like to learn something here first.

Please let me know if any further details are required and thank you for any help you can provide.

Kevin.

A couple days into system (27/3/2016). This is not necessarily the plant in question, but all plants were around the same size.

First batch of plants, added second set on 2/4/2016

Problem plant 7/4/2016

Plants around for comparison. All planted on the same day. The two closest to it are of the same variety (Hybrid 61).

Here are some other shots of the problem.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Since you've ruled out environmental factors, I'd say you have some type of virus. Like curly leaf virus, or cucumber Mosaic virus. Hand to tell from your pictures, though.

imafan26
Mod

I know you said you have ruled out environmental factors but just to be sure
Did you fill the bags from the same mix or did you make a second batch?
What is the pH of the solution. Is it alkaline or acidic?
Do you have sulfur in your systerm? Yellowing younger leaves is a sign of sulfur deficiency
Are you sure your system is delivering solution to all of the pots.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”