joeyp
Newly Registered

Will this seedling be okay?

Big Mama seedling.jpg
Hi. I'm brand new to tomato-growing and gardening in general. I bought 3 seedlings over the weekend and one of them seems a little weak. About half of the leaves are quite shriveled and look a bit dried out. I wasn't able to transplant them to containers until 1 1/2 days after I bought them so, it looks like that may have affected one. The other 2 look great. I filled my containers with organic planting mix and some tomato food granules, then watered it until the soil was soaked. It's a Big Mama variety.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I'm sure it'll be fine :) often tomato seedlings from the store are like that. I'm positive it'll survive :mrgreen:

joeyp
Newly Registered

Great, I hope so. Do you think I should trim off the shriveled leaves or will they revive on their own (with proper watering, feeding, sun and fertilizer of course)?

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I wouldn't trim them off unless they are dead (from the pic they look quite alive to me). And just a helpful tip: if you are keeping the seedlings indoors place it on a sunny windowsill...AND don't fertilize it until you have transplanted it inot the garden outside.
Good Luck! :)

joeyp
Newly Registered

The leaves in the bottom right of the pic I know are definitely okay. It's the ones in the upper left I'm worried about. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid. I really want these to grow out and thrive.

All 3 of the seedlings (the other 2 are sun gold cherry and golden san marzano) are in separate 20-gallon pots, outside next to a very sunny wall.

Thanks again for your help! :)

applestar
Mod

Where are you located? If in the south where it's warm enough for whiteflies to be bothering the tomatoes already, this could be tomato yellow leaf curl virus. I've heard of it but not have experience myself, so hopefully others with direct knowledge will weigh in.

joeyp
Newly Registered

applestar:

I'm in Los Angeles area, in a broad valley northwest of the city (San Fernando Valley).

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”