oasis
Newly Registered

looking for a short tomato plant

Hi everyone,

I'm new to growing tomatoes. Last year my neighbour gave me several tomato plants which grew, I believe, more than 10 feet tall. I would like to plant some shorter tomato plants next year, perhaps, 2 feet tall, but cannot find any of that kind. Can anyone advise of a kind of tomato plant that is 2 feet tall with tasty big red tomatoes (not cherry or grape tomatoes)?
I have found Grushovka but different websites give different sizes of the plant. One website says it's 2 feet tall. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks a lot!

Florie
Newly Registered

Hi Oasis,

I don't think you can find a tomatoe plant that is about 2 feet tall.

I'm a new member as well and I lately spent a lot of time searching all the information for gardening to help myself to grow cherry tomatoes sucessfully.

Florie

oasis
Newly Registered

Thank you, Florie.

I know that short tomato plants (about 2 feet tall) exist. My mom plants them every year. The problem is that she lives overseas, and I cannot find those kinds of tomatoes here in the States. Unfortunately, it's not allowed to mail seeds to the US.

Thanks.

oasis
Newly Registered

Can anyone else help, pleeeease?

Thank you!

tomakers

oasis wrote:Thank you, Florie.

I know that short tomato plants (about 2 feet tall) exist. My mom plants them every year. The problem is that she lives overseas, and I cannot find those kinds of tomatoes here in the States. Unfortunately, it's not allowed to mail seeds to the US.

Thanks.
What variety of tomato does your mother grow?
There are many determinate tomatoes that might fit, but most do not have large fruit.
4th of July only get 3-4' in my garden but the fruit are only 2-3 oz. Roma is another small plant, but the fruit are a paste type and 2-4 oz paste type.

Happy Gardening,
Tom

oasis
Newly Registered

thank you, tomakers, for your response.
My mom grows rather big red tomatoes.
I have just read on the website that Florie recommended that determinate tomatoes ripen all their fruit at the same time. I'm not sure I want that. It seems like the tomato plants I would like to have do not exist :cry:

tomakers

oasis wrote:My mom grows rather big red tomatoes.
Could you perhaps be a bit more specific? :D
So far we know:
1. 2' tall
2. Rather big
3. Red

Ask your mother for a name, or if they really don't HAVE to be 2' tall, there are a lot of candidates. For instance, Jet Star, which is one of my favorites, usually only grows 4-5' tall and produces a lot of rather big, red, delicious tomatoes.
There are somewhere around 5000 varieties of tomatoes to choose from. :D
Just trying to help,
Tom

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”