bruce7267ad
Newly Registered

seedling question

So this variety is a hybrid super sweet 100 cherry tomatoe. And I'm growing in coco mixed with perlite my ph of the water is 5.8 and I water daily. They just don't look healthy any thoughts about the pics I uploaded
Attachments
1455744082227.jpg
1455743896655.jpg

applestar
Mod

Coco (coir?) mixed with perlite has no nutrients, and 5.8 is a a bit too acidic for tomatoes.

You will need to add nutrients -- this can be added to the water or mixed into the top layer of the potting mix. Where are you located? What kind of fertilizers are available to you? You can adjust the pH at e same time.

Also you shouldn't need to water every day -- soak the entire container thoroughly, not just around the plant, then don't water again until the container feels lighter when hefted or top inch (dig down to 1st-2nd knuckle of finger) feels dry.

bruce7267ad
Newly Registered

I'm growing indoors in a grow tent. I forgot to add I'm using flora nova grow lineup by gh. What should the ph of the water be? I was told 5.5 to 5.8 is ok but it did sound to acidic when I heard that. This problem must be ph.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Usually phosphorus deficiency and/or cooler temperatures could be responsible for the purple stems and purple underside of the leafs. I bet 3-4 days of warmth and full natural light - they would feel and look better?

Regards,
D

EDIT: pH of the soil - from what I recall, 6+ for all nightshades

imafan26
Mod

The plants look like they have a phosphorus deficiency. Tomatoes are heavy feeders and they need to be fed. Most plants can handle low pH better than high ones. ph of 5.8 would not hurt tomatoes but they would be really unhappy if the pH was 8.0. Below is a link to the nutrient availabilty chart. As you can see while there is more nutrients available at pH between 6.0 and 7.2, pH really starts to impact nutrients when it is over 8.
https://www.avocadosource.com/tools/fert ... les/ph.htm
Other things will affect the ability of plants to take up phosphorus even if it is present. Cold is one, also moisture and salinity.
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_D ... 053254.pdf

Your soil looks very dry and leaves in the plant in the upper pot is showing chlorosis which would indicate other nutrient deficiencies as well. If you do not have the right amount of moisture neither to much or too little and you do not feed the plants they won't have a strong enough root system to feed the leaves.

bruce7267ad
Newly Registered

Ill try 6.0 for watering ph now and ill water the whole smart pot. My ppms where at 500ish is that to high or low?

bruce7267ad
Newly Registered

Its coco choir btw so is 6.0 ok for coco?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

To be honest with you, I wouldn't worry so much about your pH... I really believe your seedlings missing out on light and nutrients.

Regards,
D

bruce7267ad
Newly Registered

I'm at 680ppms with my nutes and my light is less than 24inches away. Do u still think that light and nutes r a problem ?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”