kzhang1025
Newly Registered

Seed starting mix instead of regular potting mix

Can I use seed starting mix potting soil instead of regular potting soil when transpanting fully grown or large plants rather than just starting out plants?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ummm..... for one thing, the seed starting mix is sterile, no nutrients. So you will have to be fertilizing from the beginning and they will require more nutrients than if they were in a mix that had compost/manure in it. For another, the seed starting mix is very light and fluffy, so it will probably take more of it, and you will have to keep adding more as it settles. So I guess I would say possible but not the most desirable.

kzhang1025
Newly Registered

I see...thank you, that makes sense.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Soilless potting mix with nutrients added is what I use (read that miracle-gro with fertilizer or its equal). My luck with seed starting mix has not been good and the lack of nutrients may be the cause although some say to get germination no nutrients are necessary. Anything with the word,"soil" in it is not recommended. Seed starting mix is a finer product and does not have sticks and clods of regular potting mix but for the difference in price and my past history it is worth sifting through and removing the extra stuff.

No matter what you use, soilless mix or starter mix it will be fluffy. I put the mix in a plastic tub and mix in warm water so it is moist and not so fluffy. No watering for a few days and easier to work with.

applestar
Mod

I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I CANNOT resist -- :>

...are seed starting mixes also CUTE?

Cute and fluffy

imafan26
Mod

Seed starting mix you buy is more costly than regular potting mix. I make my own. Buying bulk ingredients and custom mixing I can grow everything from seeds to succulents by adjusting the ratio of ingredients. I can add some dolomite lime to plants that like a little more alkaline conditions and I can add more micros to things like gardenia and roses that are heavy feeders. I get my peat moss and perlite from some of the hardware stores and agricultural suppliers. I even get pots because the exacta dealer will sell a single pot not only sleeves or cases. You just have to check out what is available to you. A lot of the agricultural and farm suppliers also sell retail. If you order enough and get a discount, you can get a better price.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a three page thread we had about making your own potting soil and seed starting mixes:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 48&t=60534

kzhang1025
Newly Registered

I'm about to move tomatoes, peppers, tomatoes, columbines, and delphiniums with true leaves from small cups to pots. Is it more appropriate to use regular potting mix now? Also is there a problem with using miracle gro fertilizer as opposed to fish emulsion, which I hear is recommended?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”