Zintuplet
Newly Registered

Enough space for tomato and horseradish to co-exist?

My tomato vine is starting to become rather large in my little Aldi raised bed and I look to have a 200 tomato yield.

I have removed everything from else from my garden except for the horseradish and a small sweet potato.

I'm worried the tomato vine is going to suck up all the 'good stuff' in my garden.

Should I transfer my horseradish? That's her in the front left.

*Edit. This is my first attempt at growing anything. By the looks of it my plant is out of control!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B70EG ... DVwZ3RIYlU

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B70EGv ... sp=sharing

Asica

I could not see a picture

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The pictures are there (for me anyway), if you click on the links.

Everything in your little garden bed looks very healthy so far, though it does look crowded.

I would get the sweet potato out of there. Sweet potato is a spreading vine. It puts down more roots at the places where the stem touches down and that is important for its nourishment. They need a lot of space. And they have different requirements from a tomato plant. The tomato needs pretty much water and Nitrogen. If the sweet potato plant gets as much water and N as the tomato plant, it will grow gigantic vines, but not form much tubers. AND it will be more tender and vulnerable to disease and pests.

It looks like you have plenty of room left. Make another garden bed! :D

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I agree with Rainbow. Everything looks healthy but will become too crowded as your season goes on. If you would put your location it would help. Another raised bed would be easy and a way to separate the plants. Or even a large container for the sweet potato and another for the horseradish would work well. That way you could place them close together for the look but each plant's needs could be customized.

imafan26
Mod

Horseradish for me is another one of those wild things. They can take a lot of abuse, and for now the bed is big enough for both the tomato and the horseradish. Horseradish does have a snakelike root that keeps expanding. Over time the horseradish will take over the whole bed. Next year you will probably have to find another spot for the tomato but for now it looks o.k.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Horseradish is awful. It is a weed. There is no controlling it or keeping it down. Have no worries about your horseradish. Next year you will be cursing it.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I agree on the horseradish. I planted three plants in my garden before I knew how bad it spread. After the first summer I tried to dig it up and move it. I dug down 30 inches and out about 8 ft around in a circle from where I planted it. I thought I had gotten it all. HaHa. I did not till the area encase I didn't. This year I had horseradish plants growing up 12 ft from where I planted that horseradish last year. and everywhere in between . I could do nothing with it but try to use round up on it and it just never completely killed the roots. But I did prevent it from spreading out worse. I will be fighting that for many years.

I replanted it in the backyard where I don't care how much it spreads. I did not water it or protect it from bugs. It has taken off wonderfully.

So my thought is that next year your horseradish will have taken over your whole bed. Your tomato plant is not going to hurt it.

imafan26
Mod

If you are going to harvest horseradish you have to dig it up every fall. If the roots are left in more than two years they are too woody to eat. I have to 'contain' the horseradish patch every year and I don't water or feed it and the ground is rock hard and it still keeps going. Very few pests bother it too.

Zintuplet
Newly Registered

Wow. This forum is great! Thank you to everyone for the advice.

I saw this fruit yesterday with small brown spots on it. I went out today and discovered quite a change, has this been eaten or quickly rotted away with in 12 hours?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”