Gary350
Super Green Thumb

21 tomatoes

The forum seems slow this year so I decided to post this. Plants have been looking good and making some good ripe tomatoes but the last few days the plants are dying. It looks like blight. This late in the season it must be late blight. It has not rained in 2 weeks that is extremely rare for TN it typically rains here almost every day. Tomatoes are looking good, no bad tomatoes.

Asica

They look delicious.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I have lived in TN (well, actually just over the line in GA, but I can walk to TN) almost a month now, having moved from OH. There's been about zero rainfall so far, while I have been here. Nice weather -- beautiful blue skies, lots of sunshine -- but I'm glad I haven't planted anything yet or I'd be out there watering every day.

How come you moved back to TN from AZ?

imafan26
Mod

The weather has been unusual this year in many places. El Nino for me means a wetter summer and a much drier winter. The fish migration is also affected and we have more close calls with tropical storms which they say will be extending into December possibly.

At least you are getting tomatoes. I did get some tomatoes and I have some tomatoes now but the plants are not as productive as they have been in the past and one of them looks sick so I will probably replace it.

I have had to cut back on watering because the water bill is not affordable. I have cut water use in the house which has been hard with this summer heat. Most of my grass is dead and I only water selected plants. Parts of the yard only get enough water to stay alive, they have to live mostly on rain.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I had to move back to TN I missed my great garden. Vegetables in TN taste so much better than AZ. The 8 ph AZ soil made every thing taste like AZ rock. I must admit I grew the best winter garden I have ever grown, planted broccoli in November, bumper crop of broccoli. I planted melons March 1st had the best water melons I have ever grown. I also had great garlic too. Okra loved the AZ summer heat. You can plant year round just have to pick what to plant and when. AZ weather was nice in winter but too hot in summer I gained 30 lbs staying in the AC and not getting enough exercise to keep my weight down. AZ was too BIG 95 miles across town north/south and east/west and you have to drive 100s of miles to find another town. It was 5 hour drive to go camping in a place with lots of scorpions and snakes and no trees or water, its like camping in a gravel parking lot that goes for 100s of miles.

We just had 5 days on rain in TN it was probably spin off from the Hurricane. Now it is dry again and no rain in the forecast. My tomatoes are still doing good 2 plants died but 7 plants are doing good. I harvested 4 ripe tomatoes today. Plants are keeping me busy finding things to make with tomatoes. My son has been making lots of tomato salads and sliced tomato pizzas. I made 3 kinds of Mexican salsa we had fun sampling each one and eating them. I like to slice tomatoes and eat them with a fork.

I spent all morning trying to get the tiller to run then 2 minutes of tilling so I could plant garlic. Garlic is planted.

Weather is perfect here time to go camping. Very high pollen count now everyone is sick including me. Maybe week after next we can spend a week in Helen GA they have German Oktober fest all month. Nice thing about this geographical location there is a lot to do and its not to far away.

I am already thinking about planting my spring garden. Tomatoes, beans, okra, corn, squash and more.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

My tomato harvest is winding down, too. A strange year indeed with production lower than "normal." This photo is of near the end of the harvest. There are another twenty or so fruits left on a handful of plants that may ripen or maybe not. As you see there are no round, red, pretty tomatoes, but they all taste great.

For me, the only thing left are peppers that are doing great and about 1/3 of the tomato plants I started with. After clean up it is time to clear my head before making plans for next year.

About the blight: late blight usually happens early in the year and this time of year you will most likely see early blight. Late blight you will have black foliage and your plants will be dead in a matter of days. Early blight starts from the bottom and travels up the plant turning the leaves brownish and crispy. this process can take weeks. Lots of other diseases this time of year as the plants get old and worn out.
Attachments
IMG_6104.JPG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”