KayFish
Newly Registered

Wet stem, yellow leaves.. Normal or abnormal?

image.jpg
It's a super sweet 100 hybrid that I sowed directly and has been an overall healthy plant. I noticed a few spotty leaves at the bottom of the plant back in June/July but it didn't seem to spread or slow growth so I simply let them be, figuring that a little shade might be helpful. I notice this afternoon that the lower 2 - 3 branches were now showing leaves that are much more yellow with more spot coverage. I've spent the rest of the day researching various tomato diagnostic sites and I'm still struggling to diagnose. Hopefully the helpful eyes of the garden-world wide web can offer some insight. Key facts listed below:

Variety: Super sweet 100 hybrid
Growing conditions: raised bed, recent application of Moo-Doo compost.
Symptom (Sx):
-Sx onset: 1st spots 6-8 weeks
Yellowing leaves 2-3 days
-Sx: slimy wet stem
Yellowing spotted leaves lowest branches
Many green fruit, zero red fruit

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi KayFish,

warm welcome to the forum.

Soft stems and yellow leaves are not good. Remove all of the damaged stems and leaves. Pick up any fallen leaves from the soil. I see you have an irrigation system. Are you perhaps over watering?

There are so many diseases and pathogens that tomatoes are subject to.

My first inclination would be to have a soil test for both nutrients and pathogens through your County Extension Office. Randomly treating your plants without pinpointing the problem would be equivalent to your Physician giving you a prescription without a diagnosis. The cost of the test is money well spent. You will spend more on random treatments than you will on the soil test.

By replying to your post I am bumping it. There are several "Tomato Gurus" in the forum.

As for your fruit not being ripe - when did you plant the seeds? Different varieties have different dates from planting to maturity.

Kick your shoes off and stay awhile.

BTW: I would make soil testing a priority.

Good luck :-()

dtizme
Cool Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just remove those leaves as you see them. It will start @ the bottom and slowly move its way up. I used 100% bagged soil and compost for my cherry tomatoes. I have 3 of those SS100's as well as 2 sweet million. They have been doing the same thing as yours for the last few weeks now. It happens every year here around this time. As far as no ripe fruit not 100% sure what the issue is. I would say just have some patience, they'll turn eventually. I've been getting about a pint basket every 2 days between the 5 plants. I started from transplants and planted last week of May. Maybe yours are just a bit behind starting from seed.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”