NJ Bob
Cool Member

Tomatoes are staying orange

Hi. I have some beefsteak tomatoes that seem to be staying orange forever. I've been waiting to turn red before harvesting but I'm not sure they will. Any ideas?

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Are they an orange variety of tomatoes? Red tomatoes don't turn orange at all. They start off pink.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I dunno .... seems like some of my tomatoes have been orange-y before red...

anyway here's a nice timeline of tomato development: https://web.archive.org/web/201012180503 ... s_Timeline

from showing color to ripe can easily be five days. I don't know what you meant by "forever"

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I guess maybe you can say it looks a little orange-y.... but either way, if they are taking "forever" to turn red, I suspect it is an orange tomato variety. They develop color pretty rapidly outside in the summer... you couldn't stop it if you wanted to. Are they soft or firm? Take a picture?

NJ Bob
Cool Member

It's strange. I got the seeds from tomatoes I grew last year. I'm almost positive they didn't behave like this.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

If the tomato in question remains "orang-y" I would suspect that last year's tomato was crossed either by a pollinator or somehow by the wind blowing pollen or two plants in the same general space sharing pollen. Outside chance a stray seed got in the batch somehow. Maybe it will turn out to be a good cross. Could be weather conditions are such that this year it grows and develops differently.

dtizme
Cool Member

Maybe they are orange tomatoes. How long have they been orange for? I've recently picked a few of my early girls. They went from orange to red but were only orange for a few days. I'd say if they've been orange for more than a week chances are they are orange tomatoes. Also give them a little squeeze and see how they feel. If there not ripe they should still be hard.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”