mouse1818
Newly Registered

Heirloom tomatoes that grow good in high heat?

In my area most of the week its 90°F-103°F. I only got 8-15 tomatoes on my two 6ft black krim plants. Most of the blossoms were falling off. I began flicking them to get some pollination going and it seemed to work a little I but still had a lot of blossom drop. What would be a an heirloom tomato that doesn't mind being grown in this type of heat? If there are no heirloom tomatoes that grow well in high heat are there any hybrids?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

At temperature above 95F no tomatoes pollen is mobile. Blossoms just drop off, till weather cools.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Keep the plants watered and alive. They should start setting blossoms again once the weather cools off. In my area, it's just too hot and humid during the heat of summer (heat index at 120+ today, for example) for tomatoes.

mouse1818
Newly Registered

Faaaaaak. Well ill have to find something else to plant :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Another time you could try heat resistant tomatoes like the large red slicer Tropic VFN (from the University of Florida) or Ozark Pink VF (from the University of Arkansas); they were developed in the south for hot climates. But it is probably too late to be planting them now. Wait another month or so (until daytime temps are under 90 deg) and plant regular tomatoes.

It is too hot for green beans, but you could grow Southern Peas (Cowpeas), Asparagus Beans (Yard Long Beans) , Lima Beans (Butterbeans)

Other things you could be growing now include eggplant, okra, hot peppers, mediterranean herbs like oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, summer squash, malabar summer spinach (a vine and not actually a spinach, but with edible green leaves).

imafan26
Mod

Arkansas Traveler is an heirloom with heat resistance. But if you get over 90 degrees then you might want to try some of the Florida hybrids bred for heat resistance, but I don't know how they taste. Solar fire did not grow for me, it does not have the needed disease resistance. Southern varieties may do better like Creole, manalucie, Phoenix, HeatwaveII, Husky, Better Boy, Sioux, Super Sioux, Porter Pink, Green Zebra, Big Beef, Quarter Century aka Matchless, and Brandywine will stop producing around 95 but will come back again when the weather cools. Even Early Girl lasted longer than I thought it would. Cherry tomatoes always do better in the heat than larger tomatoes. Sweet or supersweet 100, sweet millions, suncherry, sungold, sunsugar produced better in the heat than the larger tomatoes.

My tomatoes can be shaded in summer. Adding 47% shade cloth around June-August and watering twice a day, helped improve yields. But it only works for me when the trades are turned on. Nothing really helps when the trades are turned off.

mouse1818
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Another time you could try heat resistant tomatoes like the large red slicer Tropic VFN (from the University of Florida) or Ozark Pink VF (from the University of Arkansas); they were developed in the south for hot climates. But it is probably too late to be planting them now. Wait another month or so (until daytime temps are under 90 deg) and plant regular tomatoes.

It is too hot for green beans, but you could grow Southern Peas (Cowpeas), Asparagus Beans (Yard Long Beans) , Lima Beans (Butterbeans)

Other things you could be growing now include eggplant, okra, hot peppers, mediterranean herbs like oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, summer squash, malabar summer spinach (a vine and not actually a spinach, but with edible green leaves).
I will look into those tomatoes thanks! I am growing thyme :). Do you know a good squash to grow for making spaghetti squash?

mouse1818
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:Arkansas Traveler is an heirloom with heat resistance. But if you get over 90 degrees then you might want to try some of the Florida hybrids bred for heat resistance, but I don't know how they taste. Solar fire did not grow for me, it does not have the needed disease resistance. Southern varieties may do better like Creole, manalucie, Phoenix, HeatwaveII, Husky, Better Boy, Sioux, Super Sioux, Porter Pink, Green Zebra, Big Beef, Quarter Century aka Matchless, and Brandywine will stop producing around 95 but will come back again when the weather cools. Even Early Girl lasted longer than I thought it would. Cherry tomatoes always do better in the heat than larger tomatoes. Sweet or supersweet 100, sweet millions, suncherry, sungold, sunsugar produced better in the heat than the larger tomatoes.

My tomatoes can be shaded in summer. Adding 47% shade cloth around June-August and watering twice a day, helped improve yields. But it only works for me when the trades are turned on. Nothing really helps when the trades are turned off.
Awesome I already have 2 super sweet 100 tomatoes already growing in solo cups hope they do well. Ill have to try shading thanks.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”