rockey_f_squirrell
Newly Registered

Review of douchoua 'bell pepper' tomato...

Douchoua pepper tomato review...

It looks like I have the privalige to be the first person on the internet to review this variety.

I ordered the douchoua pepper tomato from baker creek heirlooms. This was one of five odd varieties that I tried out, and this one had the least of my expectations. I was late in planting, placed seeds in starter cups after last frost.

I made improvised greenhouse boxes out of wood and shrinkwrap. Interestingly these were the first ones to sprout up (other varieties included weisenbarharrte, peche, dads sunset, and roman candles). It took till 80 days to start getting the little 'green balls' and finally at 100 days they started turning their yellow color.

The biggest problem with these are blossom end rot (BE rot). The rest of my tomato varieties showed no sign of BE rot, so this tells me that this variety is extremely susceptible to it, mainly because of the hallow centers. I added more miracle grow and that started getting some good size ones without it.

As anticipated they come out shaped like a pepper, have the feel and squishyness, and I picked one off that had early BE rot, but on the edge of turning ripe, cut it in half, and it is hallow with three chambers like a pepper. It has two small chambers and a large one so it kind of has a mickey mouse shape.

But going against the old saying "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...". This is no pepper. Yes I cut off the BE rot, and took a taste test. Just like Bill Clinton would say, I bit but did not swallow... Lol. And it taste like a tomato.

Keep in mind peppers a very difficult to grow, which we tried, but they died out. That is why I am surprised these came out first.

This is a pre-review I can't wait to fully indulge in this rare heirloom.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Thanks for your review. Sounds like a good one to try, but I probably won't. So many varieties and so little time. I have a 15'X25' garden so my ability to grow several varieties is prohibitively limited.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”