MichaelC

Harvest almost fully ripe fruits for sauce?

I've got a pound of pink oxhearts that I would really love to cook into a sauce today. I need a bit more. There are a bunch of fruits on the plant that are almost fully ripe, just a bit of orange on the shoulders. Can I pick these to use for a pasta sauce, or will they not taste correct.

I realize this may not get me answers in time, but I figured it couldn't hurt trying.

applestar
Mod

If you are planning to cook up a big batch for canning, I would wait on those -- either leave on the vines or pick and ripen fully inside... And freeze the others that are already ripe until you have all your harvest for sauce ready to go.

If you want to make some sauce for dinner tonight, then sure, go ahead and pick and add those. If you want a more developed/complex flavor, you can cut them in half or quarters, brush or spray with EVOO and a sprinkle of salt, and bake, roast, broil, or grill first. This method helps mild flavored tomatoes to express themselves better, too.

MichaelC

Thanks!

It's the latter. I think I'm going to let them stay one more day on the vine, and make the sauce tomorrow. I don't want their three brothers sitting on my kitchen counter to spoil before I can get to it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”