mrschmitt
Newly Registered

Tomatoes grow wonderfully then die - every year!!!

Every year we plant 3 or 4 tomato plants in large pots. We buy the best soil we can find. We buy the healthiest plants we can find. We also plant various kinds. Every year but this year in particular, the plants always seem to really thrive until the fruit starts to develop, then the leaves turn yellow, then die. We are definitely giving them enough water and I don't think it's too much water. I tried giving them a high quality tomato food this year tha has added calcium hoping that this might help them. It hasn't seemed to unfortunately. I have heard some suggest that we put Epsom salts down, or out the shell of an egg. I really want to save these plants as they actually have grown quite large. In comparison, our next door neighbours have tomato plants in the ground that always seem to do amazing so I doubt it's some sort of bug.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

applestar
Mod

Which varieties are you growing? Do you know about indeterminate and determinate varieties?

Also, it's possible that in the container, the nutrients are depleted from the effort to produce the fruits and not enough is left to keep the plants going. (The plants will sacrifice and divert all resources to mature the fruits)

mrschmitt
Newly Registered

Off hand, I'm not 100% sure what the varieties are. I will check tomorrow, but one is a large tomato type and the other one is a cherry tomato type.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

maybe some pictures would help. Lots of diseases affect tomato plants...Also, where are you located? If you're in a really hot area, it might just be too hot....

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”