Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Rutgers: Determinate or Indeterminate?

I always thought that Rutgers tomatoes (my personal favorite) were indeterminate. But, just read that some seed companies list theirs as determinate. This is a big surprise to me. :eek:

If this is so, then I shouldn't be removing suckers from them, which I have been doing. Does anyone know for sure if Rutgers is determinate or ID? Perhaps I should stop the desuckering just to be on the safe side? Thx! (Maybe determinate plants don't put out suckers?) :?:

By the way, they, and all my other tomato plants are getting the usual annual leaf curl, still not sure if it's a disease or just the physiological response that I've read so much about on this forum! Will try to post some pics.

applestar
Mod

Without looking at my notes or searching the Internet, my fuzzy memory says Rutgers is determinate and Rutgers Improved is indeterminate.... But if I remember correctly, the variety distinction is not always made.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

My version of Rutgers appear to be determinate, compared to my indeterminate varieties I have this year.

imafan26
Mod

The original Rutgers tomato was determinate, but the modern Rutgers are derivatives and may not mirror the original variety. You need to check the seed packet or the grower to find out if the variety is a determinate or indeterminate.

Determinates have shorter internodes and most of the fruit are on the terminal ends. Indeterminates will set fruit along the stem and not just on the ends.

I found the same kind of thing happening when I buy Brandywine and more recently beefsteak tomatoes.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

History
Developed at the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, from a cross between Marglobe and J.T.D. (an old New Jersey variety from the Campbell Soup Co.).
It was first released in 1928 and then again in 1943 (as Rutgers Improved). The 1928 release was indeterminate, and the 1943 release is basically what we have today.
1958 Gleckler Catalog description:
"RUTGERS (Indiana Strain) (72 Days)
A superior strain of Rutgers, re-selected and supervised at Purdue University. Slightly earlier and much more productive than the original 290 strain as it came from New jersey. Fruit quality and color like-wise are greatly improved. Fruits are smooth, slightly flattened at the stem-end, deep red color ripening from the interior outward. Thick walls, small seed cavities with very few seeds from very solid fruits. Plants are large, thick stems with dense foliage protecting fruits from sunburn. To get maximum yield from Rutgers, soil must not be over supplied with nitrogen. A heavy application of phosphate is recommended to insure early ripening and ...? the entire harvest."

This is from Tatianna's website, the best there is for descriptions and histories. There are several strain or forms of Rutgers listed and in each description they are indeterminate. I think there are two forms of Rutgers, hybrid and open pollenated. We usually think of hybrid as tending toward determinate, but that may not be so. I don't grow it so I have no experience.

See also
Rutgers Improved,
Rutgers Select,
Rutgers F,
Rutgers VF,
Rutgers 39 VF,
Rutgers Ps-r,
Rutgers California Supreme,
Rutgers (Original Strain),
Rutgers Yellow,
Rutgers Space Select

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”